What's new
What's new

Good bluing grease for taper contact and requalifying tool holders

JasonE

Plastic
First just need to know which bluing grease gives a nice impression for taper contact? Seem to remember one being pretty light and I think that is the one I have. It works but rather get the good stuff.

Also, we have several used holders around and reluctant to throw them in a good spindle for fear they will damage the spindle taper. Is there a master that we can buy to blue and inspect holders? Several of ours have little dings from handling but are otherwise fine. I would would be ok smoothing the high spots and using but I don't want a high spot going in the spindle and causing damage.

And for thought, anyone have many retention studs break off? We don't really have a system of replacement but it always scares me to think how much tension is on these studs and if this snap, very bad things happen. I know of many huge facilities that still don't seem to replace these things but they also have no problem buying a $20k spindle.

First just need to know which bluing grease gives a nice impression for taper contact? Seem to remember one being pretty light and I think that is the one I have. It works but rather get the good stuff.

Also, we have several used holders around and reluctant to throw them in a good spindle for fear they will damage the spindle taper. Is there a master that we can buy to blue and inspect holders? Several of ours have little dings from handling but are otherwise fine. I would would be ok smoothing the high spots and using but I don't want a high spot going in the spindle and causing damage.

And for thought, anyone have many retention studs break off? We don't really have a system of replacement but it always scares me to think how much tension is on these studs and if this snap, very bad things happen. I know of many huge facilities that still don't seem to replace these things but they also have no problem buying a $20k spindle.

The most common is Dykem Hi-Spot Blue....about 8 bucks for a half oz tube.

Amazon.com: dykem hi-spot

dee
;-D

The most common is Dykem Hi-Spot Blue....about 8 bucks for a half oz tube.

Amazon.com: dykem hi-spot

dee
;-D

And it is more 'ready to use" than, for example, Stuart's Micrometer, whch generally wants thinned.

FWIW-not-much-department, if one is prone to eating without washing hands, or has ULM that cause a body to revert to periodic thumb-sucking, lipstick is safer.

Actually works a treat as a marking paste, too. And colour choices? You might not wanna know!

:D

For taper checking I've always used a felt marker: draw a few lines along the shank and in the socket, insert, twist and look for contact.

All we have ever used is Dykem. One tube would last me several years. And that's checking up to 500 a year. Good stuff. WD40 will take it off of your hands.

Rocky
Spindle Grinding Service (retired most of the time)

My mom was a painter/artist, we used Prussian Blue oil paint. Dad had a tube in the top of his tool box and retired with most of it still there. Doesn't take much.

Back