SDConcepts is offline Stainless

Default good coolant for cnc mill?

i'm looking for a good coolant for my cnc mill. the max pressure on the mill is about 300 psi and i would like something that is water soluable, doens't get nasty quickly and has good lubricity and cutting properties as most stuff i machine is harder metals like stainless, and titanium. my cnc lathes run straight oil, any reason i can't or shouldn't use that in the mill?

ARB
    ARB is offline Titanium

There are quite a few opinions on this but Blaser and Hagstaffers (Sp) seem to be the front runners.

I personally like the what I get from Blaser 2000 Universal MD. There might be a better product for your materials. A call to Blaser would answer that. That is what I did. I called them and talked about what I was machinining and they made a recommendation that worked well. I have only maintained my sumps since making the switch about 3 years ago.

exkenna is offline Stainless

There are probably 25-30 jobs shops in my area using Castrol 9930 or 9913.
    They all love it. Rather pricey but no worries.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/produ...tentId=6004223

I have been through their metalworking fluids school but no I don't sell it.

I wouldn't use straight oil.

gearmac is offline Aluminum

I have been using straight oils in VMCs machining stainless and various types of steel but not titanium. They say that the pulverized titanium chips are highly combustible (?) though I am yet to verify or bust the myth. Some water soluble coolants tend to get stinky and sludgy when unused for 2 days.

g-coder05 is offline Stainless

I second the blazer 2000sw. Ive been trying differant coolants trying to find one that doesnt give me conjuntivitus and this is the only one that has worked so far.

ksimmons is offline Plastic

I'll 3rd on the Blaser. I've used 4000 strong though. Just watch your concentration. I've even had this stuff in the sump of an old #3 warner w/out it being cleaned out properly and it's held up. We run mostly 303 and 304 ss.

Glacern is offline Aluminum

We switched to Master Chemical products a few months ago and now use Trim Microsol 585 (semi synthetic) in our Mori vmc and lathes. It was recommended to us specifically for its properties in cutting titanium. We've also gotten good results with 13-8PH stainless and case hardened steels.

Prior to switching, we tried some synthetics with some major odor and minor rust problems.

dandjp is offline Aluminum

I am running True Blue synthetic. My machine uses too much oil and I am only a home shop. I don't have enough work to keep it busy so coolant can stand stagnet for a week or more at a time. It doesen't get stinky even after a year. No rust on cold rolled and tool life seems ok.

Paragon_R_N_D is offline Aluminum

Quote Originally Posted by exkenna View Post
    I wouldn't use straight oil.
    why is that? Just out of curiosity. I have never been around a mill or lathe that has oil in it and always wondered why. Swiss machines seem to thrive with it. It never goes rancid, it has WAY better lubrication than most synthetics I have seen I just wonder why we don't put it in mills.

seattlewa98 is offline Cast Iron

I use Swiss Blaser 2000 and like it and they smell good at beginning
    I vote for Blaser 2000.
    I cut most aluminum

gustafson is offline Hot Rolled

Default re

2000cf for 5 years+ no problems, no rancidity, no replacement

Hi-Point is offline Plastic

Default Oil in Mills

I run cutting oil in everything, swiss, hardinge bar machines and 2 haas vf mills. No problem with rust. On the mills I use what is called evaporative lubricant.Its a petrolium product clear and looks like straight water. It sure makes reamers cut right on and excellant finish compared to some water based I tried a couple of years ago. My 14 year old haas still looks almost new since no water based coolant has lifted paint or made thing a sticky mess. We mostly do small parts very little use with face mills, they leave a little mist or haze in the shop.

Joe788 is online now Titanium

I'm a fan of Hangsterfers S500. Terrific lubrication, good sump life, and doesn't leave residue on anything. The worst I see is dark green dried up coolant that has turned back into concentrate. Just spray it down with more coolant and whatever it was on looks like new.

dclarkmachine is offline Aluminum

Another vote for Hangsterfers S500. I use it on all materials. Plastics,Copper,Titanium, Inconel etc. Never had any problems.

Ox
    Ox is offline Diamond

Default Bryco

These guys are running lathes - but I would like to know what the old and new coolants are - as well as the materials being ran?

artical here

---------------

Just enough for the city.
    Ox