Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    The quick breakers may be the ones with high eccentricity, that would wreck smaller cutters.

Did you discuss going to a spot drill rather than using an endmill?

Thanks for keeping us updated!
    Nachi is testing a flat bottom drill on our parts in their lab to do everything in one operation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No disrespect, but a carbide drill with run out plunging into a shallow depression made by that milling cutter is going to snap randomy, its a tooling 101 do not ever do that level event. Its just a straight up piss poor thing to do. Above all ditch gurhing and call sandvick, watch there youtube videos and learn how you should use a drill bit!

Use a std spot drill and it MUST be a shallower angle than the drill point and you will stabilise your tool life massively.

Its a 2mm drill bit you don't need mega buck hydraulic holders, you don't need shrink fit, and you don't need a big plus spindle for this job. A humble ER16 collet setup will sort it and theres more than a few good American suppliers that can have you a holder there some point Monday for less than a $100!!! Speak to Maritool on here.

Me i would ditch the carbide for now, buy a pack of screw length coated HSS cobalt and get a steady 200+ holes a bit all be it a bit slower, but tool life will be rock solid reliable. That means production will go up. They woun't give a toss about 5 thou spindle run out either if you don't chioke em up too tight in the collet (you want some length to flex till you fix that problem.)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by adama View Post
    No disrespect, but a carbide drill with run out plunging into a shallow depression made by that milling cutter is going to snap randomy, its a tooling 101 do not ever do that level event. Its just a straight up piss poor thing to do. Above all ditch gurhing and call sandvick, watch there youtube videos and learn how you should use a drill bit!

Use a std spot drill and it MUST be a shallower angle than the drill point and you will stabilise your tool life massively.

Its a 2mm drill bit you don't need mega buck hydraulic holders, you don't need shrink fit, and you don't need a big plus spindle for this job. A humble ER16 collet setup will sort it and theres more than a few good American suppliers that can have you a holder there some point Monday for less than a $100!!! Speak to Maritool on here.

Me i would ditch the carbide for now, buy a pack of screw length coated HSS cobalt and get a steady 200+ holes a bit all be it a bit slower, but tool life will be rock solid reliable. That means production will go up. They woun't give a toss about 5 thou spindle run out either if you don't chioke em up too tight in the collet (you want some length to flex till you fix that problem.)
    I take no disrespect to that at all. I didnt develop the process, I inherited it. I'm also brand new to machining at the speed we are. We are using carbide because these 3 machines are integrated directly into a large line that does grind/heat treat after those operations. The spot mill isnt plunging straight down into a flat surface. The plunge goes into a spline thats on a 30 degree angle.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

5. Likes f40lm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Are you allowed to post a picture or sketch of the setup/part? Since it seems to be consistently-inconsistent across all your machines (even the one with .0005 runout) I doubt it's the machines (of course grinding your tapers won't hurt!). Can you post a pic of one that's been used but not broken yet if there seems to be anything worth sharing? Its just a hole....we should be able to figure this one out!

7. Likes f40lm liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdlinger View Post
    Are you allowed to post a picture or sketch of the setup/part? Since it seems to be consistently-inconsistent across all your machines (even the one with .0005 runout) I doubt it's the machines (of course grinding your tapers won't hurt!). Can you post a pic of one that's been used but not broken yet if there seems to be anything worth sharing? Its just a hole....we should be able to figure this one out!
    I will PM you tomorrow.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

PM'd with video of the operation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Whatever happened with this??

11. Likes Ox liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Whatever happened with this??
    Tooling trials are next week. I have a Kennametal mill/drill setup. Nachi just came in today recommending a flat bottom drill for the pilot and then a deep hole drill to finish it off. They have 3 feeds on the deep hole drill because the issue they are seeing is due to the drill chipping. Since the entry and exit is at an angle the drill has been chipped prematurely. Slowing the entry, then speeding up, then slowing for exit has supposedly taken care of that. I'm very curious to see these results. They slowed down the deep hole drill to 50rpm during entry into the pilot so the runout doesnt break the tool instantly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm guessing that the exiting out into the splines on the opposite side is the hardest on the drill.

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    I'm guessing that the exiting out into the splines on the opposite side is the hardest on the drill.

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    I'm going to sample a program later this week. I ran the kennametals mill/drill set. Drill life was very low at 208 parts made (416 operations). The mill life appears to be great though. Before lunch I was sitting at 2,200 parts on one mill (4,400 operations). That is 300 parts off of our highest in the past few months and 500 parts over our best on that specific robodrill. We will see if it surpasses it. I am testing the remaining 4 mills/drill.

I am going to sample a program recommended by Nachi which was pretty genius I thought. They are aware of our bad runout.

Pilot mill Operation Untouched to Z-2.mm

Drill Operation

S50 F240. to Z-1. (Almost 0RPM to eliminate runout on drill entry)
    S15000 F711. to Z-11.5 (Once drill has entered part, increase RPM and feed)
    S5500 F51. to Z-14.0 (Slow RPM / Feed on exit last 2.5mm)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OH, so you are drilling to C/L and flipping it then.

-------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by f40lm View Post

I am going to sample a program recommended by Nachi which was pretty genius I thought. They are aware of our bad runout.
    I don't understand why you're not dealing with the runout first - that's the biggest reason for low tool life and unstable operation.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    I don't understand why you're not dealing with the runout first - that's the biggest reason for low tool life and unstable operation.
    Agreed, but we need to prevent the runout from happening again first before investing in all new spindles. We are adding flood coolant and possibly changing the deburr brush material. The theory is the deburr brush sandpaper material is getting up into the spindle. It makes no sense to put in brand new spindles right now when in 6months they will just be wrecked again. We need to find the root cause of the runout, correct, then move forward with the spindle replacement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Doo you have a (series of) sock filter(s) on your coolant line?

What feature of the part are you "deburring" with abrasives?

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox