What's new
What's new

Haas 310 Rotary Chuck

pdexter1210

Aluminum
We picked up a nice (albeit stuck at the time) Haas 310 rotary table and have got it cleaned up and in good working condition again. We have a job that we're looking to use it on, but need a chuck attached to it, as it only has the face plate at the moment. I have a new 12in Bison 3 jaw that I would like to attach and have been looking at options for setting it up. At this point, I'm considering getting a 12 inch cast iron blank back plate, machining it to fit the chuck and bolting it to the chuck, then using a piece of bar stock and mounting the the Bison chuck in the manual lathe using the bar stock in order to machine a shoulder on the back surface of the back plate to a slight interference fit into the face plate on the rotary.

Not looking to reinvent the wheel if there is a better way, so thought I would ask how others would do it? I've priced the chuck setup from Haas, so I'll pass on that. Other ideas?

I also have the 310. I went and bought an extra rotor for my silverado and customized that to fit the rotary and chuck. I bolted on a collet chuck not a 12" chuck tho.

I bolted my chuck right to the faceplate. I incorporated an 'adjust-true' feature: I made 3 special long T slot nuts. These had a shoulder on the top side sticking above the face of the rotary table by enough to snag the locating surface in the back of the chuck. Then I drilled and tapped a long hole in the main body of the nut so that it had a setscrew bearing against the inner end of the T slot. This is the push screw which creates the pressure needed to alter the centering of the chuck body.

Then I modified the chuck by drilling 3 holes through it and counterboring to take a 1/2" allen head capscrew through the front, and into 3 normal T slot nuts in the other 3 slots of the faceplate. So I can loosen those off just a tad, and adjust the (cheap) chuck I used to get it on center, slackening and tightening the other 3 push screws as required.

Thanks very much for that idea, I'm going to give that setup a try since I'll be able to indicate it in using your setup. Appreciate the help, will report back on it's progress.

We have a 210 but we use a turned hollow "plug" that fits the register on the chuck and the thru-bore on the 4th and then everything is snugged down with t-nuts. There's a little bit of play and we can adjust that by knocking it around with a deadblow before snugging everything down tight.

Back