What's new
What's new

Haas 4th axis probing cycle

HSM_CHIEF

Aluminum
Hey everyone I️ was just wondering if there was a probing cycle I️ could use to set my z0 in the center of my part or the center of rotation on a 4th axis I️ do a lot of round part work on the 4th axis and it’s a pain touching off the top of my part then having to throw a mic on I️t and shift my Z. I️ was thinking there has to be a probing cycle that probes the top spins the 4th 180 degrees then takes another probe hit. Thanks!

I'm not sure I understand. You could easily write a macro to do what you describe, but if your Z0 is the center of rotation, it never changes. Set it once and your done.

I wish I knew more about macro programming or I would do that!

Hello HSM_CHIEF,
If its a round (cylindrical) part, spinning the part 180deg will give you the same value as the first touch, discounting run-out. Further, any run-out will result in a false centre location in any regard.

As Larry suggests, if Z Zero is the Centre of Rotation, you only have to determine it the once. For a "one off" its not worthwhile writing a Macro Program. If its a Cylindrical Part, or if your set up includes a chuck on the 4th axis, simply touch off on the circumference and add the Radius of the component you touched off on. If your set-up does include significant run-out, you would have to identify the High and Low reading and compensate for that. I would be inclined to fix the set-up in such a situation.

Regards,

Bill

Yeah I understand what you mean... I just didn’t know if there was any other way to set my z0 other then touching off and throwing a mic on it and shifting down... I have to indicated all my work pieces in within a .001 so there won’t be much runout. Thanks everyone.

Back