What's new
What's new

"slicing" for corner milling - Is that the correct name ?

I've never seen it called "slicing" before. It's been around for a while. Surfcam Truemill and the Cimco HSM Performance Pack for Mastercam for many years, with Volumill and Mastercam Dynamic milling more recently. It works amazingly well.

This technique is called trochoidal milling. A trochoid is defined as "the motion of a Hurricane". Joe788 is correct. The different CAM companies have different names for it. The industry refers to it as trochoidal milling though.

I mill a lot of lobes and long deep slots using trochoidal milling and man it will fly. Looks like a bunch of half circles and since the tool doesn't retract there's very little wasted motion. 1/2 3 flt aluminum specific cutter 2.0" LOC 10,000 RPM 1.8 DOC 20% step over 125IPM will cut a 1.0" wide slot 2" long in 15-20 seconds including finish pass.

First time I used it it scared the crap out of me. I never thought an end mill would ever be capable of cutting that fast.

This technique is called trochoidal milling. A trochoid is defined as "the motion of a Hurricane". Joe788 is correct. The different CAM companies have different names for it. The industry refers to it as trochoidal milling though.

Typical trochoidal milling is quite a bit different than the constant engagement type path they are describing. Old fashioned "let's do some circles" trochoidal milling is usually pretty terrible compared to what's out there now.

Actually what is shown is a hybrid type of trochoidal milling. Some CAM packages have the ability to analyze a pocket and determine when to use trochoidal milling and when to use more traditional types of tool paths. It is really a combination of the two.

I believe NX6 terms it "slicing" but a lot of CAM companies use a similar technique for rest milling corners. Some better than others.

It's a real tool saver in tougher materials.

Lots of terms flying around. What's shown is often refered to as "corner peeling" as it peels the corner like an onion. I don't know that there is any one term for it though as it seems more like an end result than the technique to get the result.

I say that because lots of different ways to get corner peeling going. Constant engagement HSM paths do it automatically. Trochoidal paths can do it. You could even write a macro to do it--not a hard path to hand code.

Cheers,

BW
CNC Cookbook: Software and Information for Machinists

Back