What's new
What's new

Haas lighting upgrade

HSM_CHIEF

Aluminum
Hey everyone I’m just wondering what everyone does for upgrading the lighting in their haas machines? I’m currently running a 2012 vm2 and the lighting just isn’t that great I’d really like some LED lights for it! Just wondering if anyone els has done something like this? Thanks!

I'm white trash: I really like the Feit LED shop lights from Costco in my machines. They are plenty bright, but no huge glare. I bought myself 6 of them for Christmas a couple of years ago and they are on all of my machines. None of them have failed, and they give just the right amount of light. They seem impervious to the vibrations, no heat (which attracts coolant scum), and don't draw much power. I'm sure there are better solutions, but these work for me.

I've been thinking of upgrading the 24V halogen to one in my VMC to those LED Truck light type thing since they take 24V. Being made for trucks I figure they're probably sealed more than well enough for a CNC.
Amazon has all kinds for quite cheap.

I've been thinking of upgrading the 24V halogen to one in my VMC to those LED Truck light type thing since they take 24V. Being made for trucks I figure they're probably sealed more than well enough for a CNC.
Amazon has all kinds for quite cheap.
Pick up a couple of LED bars for off roading and installed in our Hurco VM 10 powered by an old laptop power supply and work well, too well in fact that it was so bright it would give you a headache. I was doing a lot of prototype work back then so a lot more head inside the machine then normal.

Here are my views when it comes to this subject and I will make a discloser now that I am currently and actively designing and selling commercial lighting systems for the farming industry and will be selling to industrial and manufacturing toward the end of this year..

When considering lighting within a machine enclosure:

Low voltage systems are a must… never use high voltage systems.

What I've found through testing:

Of the so called imported “quality” LED products at their claimed rating, 30% have failed static testing for moisture and 45% fail during active testing (vibration with water spray and age testing).

Of the really “cheap “ products like some on the web… failure was as high as 80% static and 100% active. Again at their claimed IP rating

Now you know what I know about the imported LEDs and of coures... there are aways some exceptions.

You can, in a lot of cases, fix the moisture problems that plague these low voltage cheapo’s . Get yourself some “The Right Stuff” sealant at the auto parts store. Take the unit apart remove all of their sealant and reseal all of the joints with the Right Stuff. If any gaskets and they are made of a foam like material you will have to replace it too with a material resistant to the coolant ( Most polyester gasket materials are) Of course you need a transformer too.

Twenty or thirty bucks later and an hour of your time you might get a decent light…Oh… I almost forgot…if they have venting on the case…as some do… you can’t usually get away just with sealing the vents because the LED may over heat then start over current drawing and fail. Well... to be fair, you can add a heatsink to the unit… if you can figure where to put it.

For general information, here is a link to a simplified version of the IP rating system.

IP Rating Chart | DSMT.com

Back