What's new
What's new

Haas Super Mini Mill buying advise

tcncj

Cast Iron
Hello

I'm thinking about buying a 2004 Haas Super Mini mill. I have 0 experience with real machines. I only used hobby/semi profi stuff in the past.
Can someone give me some advice which things I need to check before buying a machine?
Besides how is the control of the Haas? I don't know if it has USB or Floppy? I came across some posts that people convert the floppy to USB?

Hello

I'm thinking about buying a 2004 Haas Super Mini mill. I have 0 experience with real machines. I only used hobby/semi profi stuff in the past.
Can someone give me some advice which things I need to check before buying a machine?
Besides how is the control of the Haas? I don't know if it has USB or Floppy? I came across some posts that people convert the floppy to USB?

They are pretty decent little machines. Control is super easy to figure out and does just about everything a person could ask for. By and large the super mini mills are pretty bullet proof. Listen to the spindle at the full rpm range for any weird noises. Listen to all of the axis motors/ and linear guides. The Z axis way covers will undoubtedly be banged up... it is one of these machines special features. A standard vise is ideal fro either taking out the door or taking out the back way covers.

An 04 is almost certainly a floppy drive. If it hasn't been converted over to USB, you could do that. I wouldn't; I use the rs232 and once you get it figured out, it is the easiest way to transfer programs.

Personally, I would try and find a standard mini mill rather than the super mini mill. They are usually a little cheaper, more bullet proof, and can run on single phase. I have had at least one of those since they introduced them in '99 (I think)... call it 17 years. During that time, I have replaced one power supply, two limit switches, one coolant pump, and (finally) a new LCD replacement for the CRT.

Back