What's new
What's new

Haas TL3 tailstock (boat anchor)

rbregn

Aluminum
Anyone out there with a TL3? Have you been able to come up with a fix for the crap tailstock? Mine takes about three tries to get it to clamp on center line. Really slows down the set up time, because you can't trust it. I talked to Haas about it, now it it better. Before, it could be off center as much as a quarter of an inch.
What have people done to fix vibration issues? I have moved the tool holder closer to the tail stock and that helped a lot, but you have to be careful so you don't run the cross slide into the chuck. It looks to me like if they would have designed it so the mass of the weight was at the front of the tail stock instead of the rear that would fix most of that problem.

Haas is not know for their engineering brilliance. They have become a bit better with their newer stuff.

The newer TL's have the tailstock mounted to the linear guides with guide trucks. They should be on center for a long time. The only problem is clamping them, they have a bunch of slots in the bed that a pin drops into. Not the most elegant solution but better than the old method of clamping on the rails. My experience has been with TL1/2 machines not sure if this is what there doing on the TL3's now.

At a previous shop I worked at we ended up making a "rail" that bolted to the bottom of the tailstock. On this rail we had bearings that were on cams.
I installed the rail. I dialed in the tailstock so it was perfect radially and along the quill. Then I spun the cams so that all the bearings contacted the linear rail and tightened them down.

At that shop we also filled the bottom on the tailstock with lead and epoxy so weigh it down - and hopefully reduce that POS from bouncing. It didn't work and I have a video of that thing flexing like 0.010" when I was spinning a shaft.
I combated the chatter by using 1-rad inserts to finish and whatever code varies the RPM automatically.

Hopefully this helps.

Back