What's new
What's new

Haas TM-1 Zero set problem

H_Vordos

Plastic
Hello folks!
I'd like to begin by saying that I am not CNC literate. I retired from the trade, having worked as a machinist/toolmaker, but on manual machines exclusively. It is safe to say I am a CNC moron.

Fast forward to a few years ago, when I acquired a used Haas TM-1 (basic tool room mill), which has no tool changer.

From the outset, the machine, when started, would occasionally give an alarm message in regards to the Y axis, but simply retrying the Powerup/resart button seemed to cure the problem. That is, until yesterday. The machine now shows the same error message, as well as a similar message for the Z axis. In addition, when the machine is trying to find zero, both the saddle and table run the wrong direction. Both run at a much reduced speed in this condition.

I live in fear that the problem is with the electronics of the machine, but wanted to see if anyone, here, might have something useful to suggest. Living on social security, hiring a tech isn't in the cards, although that may be the only solution.

Any help I might receive would be appreciated.

Incidentally, the machine has relatively low hours, and has sat, unused, for long stretches, often a year or more. What little use it has seen with me is in machining small aluminum components, including some engraving.

Harold

Last edited:
I'm not a Haas guy. But there are lots here who are. I just wanted to reassure you that you probably won't need to get a tech out, as long as you're fairly mechanically inclined. I've seen these guys help someone restore a 20+ year old machine from across the country just via this forum. With patience, I'd bet we can help you get your issue sorted.

Also, the more data you give, the more people can extrapolate, so don't be afraid to be detail heavy.

Welcome to the forum.

I'm not a Haas guy. But there are lots here who are. I just wanted to reassure you that you probably won't need to get a tech out, as long as you're fairly mechanically inclined.
Thankfully, I am, although I'm not sure of my thoughts when it comes to computer operations.

I've seen these guys help someone restore a 20+ year old machine from across the country just via this forum. With patience, I'd bet we can help you get your issue sorted.
For that I am eternally grateful. To that end, today I spent more time on the machine, after talking with a friend who has considerable experience with them, and knows the party who owned the machine previously. He advised me that the parameters may have been altered, of which there is evidence, as the Y axis hits the limit switch, and the spindle is capable of 6,000 rpm (a great feature, as I do small work), and that may be part of the problem I've experienced since I have owned the machine.

What I learned today is that the Y limit switch is struck when the machine seeks zero. That, in and of itself, isn't a problem, or so it appears, but the switch doesn't always release. When it doesn't, I get error messages from the other axes. When it does, the machine functions normally, so I have isolated the problem, and most likely can resolve the sticking issue by removing the switch and cleaning it well. That I will do today, but I am unable to check the parameters, as I don't possess that information. I expect that I'll have to make an inquiry of the original seller of the machine to see if that information can be provided. That was the instruction I received from
the friend mentioned above. He is well versed in CNC operations and is an exceptional machinist. He suggested that the parameter list should be found within the main electrical cabinet, but, alas, it isn't there, although I do have the operation manual. I have not found the parameters listed in the manual, although they may be there and I have been unable to locate them.

Bottom line is, I'd like to thank you guys for your eagerness to help. I moderate a different forum and have always been eager to help those with problems or those who seek guidance in machining. Providing the needed help has always been very rewarding to me, as I feel one should pay forward that which was given when each of us was in the learning stage, regardless of the nature of the craft.

Again, thanks. I'll follow up with what I've learned and see if I can reset the now unknown parameters. If I hit another wall, I'll post again, although I see that there's a place for Hass inquiries. I'll most likely turn to that forum. While I'm not new to this one, I have so little spare time at my disposal that I don't visit here much. I'll try to do better, as it's comforting to be in touch with my peers.

Harold

Last edited:
Its one of the great things about owning a haas..a ocean of info from people that that have seen the same problem and looked at it from every angle. This is fixable.
Now if I could just figure out why my tails stock pressure gauge has lost half of its liquid on my st10..:(
Gary

Back