What's new
What's new

HAAS VF-2 - Intermittent Spindle Reference Signal Missing Error

Hey Guys,
I, as well as our local Haas contacts, are stumped on this issue. We recently had issues with our VF2 machine locking up and displaying garbage on the screen. I replaced the CPU board. However, the old machine locked up permanently before I could get our parameters off. We programmed the new board with what we found in the binders that came with the machine. I then tweaked the tool change position and spindle orientation to get everything working.

However, as soon as we thought it was back up, we started getting "ERROR 173: SPINDLE REF SIGNAL MISSING". This only seems to occur when starting/stopping/orienting the spindle. It's intermittent. Usually everything works fine including orientation and speed feedback...except when it doesn't. We didn't see this issue before replacing the board, so I was inclined to think it was a parameter error, not a hardware one. However, I've since replaced the MOCON board and the spindle encoder out of desperation with no success. The only other similar posts I've seen suggest the encoder or the belt, but I've replaced the encoder and the belt looks to be in good shape.

If anyone has a parameter set from a VF2 with Vector Drive for comparison, or any ideas of what to check, please let me know.

Thanks,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, all rails look solid. Don't get any other random errors either, just this one - sometimes right away, sometimes after the job's been running a while. I can always Reset and resume without an immediate problem.

If it just had a retry on missing the encoder Z pulse, everything would be fine... Not sure why it's even looking for it when it's just in speed mode.

It could be the cable between the encoder and the control or from the control to the mocon bd. One other cable would be mocon bd. to the VFD. Another thought is check to make sure the 2 cables that connect all data buses for the computer stack are seated tight.
You didn’t say what year your Haas was. Where I worked we got 6 Haas in one year and after they some age on them it seemed like the cable wires would break.

Thanks guys. The cable is pretty much the only remaining part that hasn't been replaced. Yesterday I actually connected to the terminals on the PCB with a freq counter and ran the spindle. I got solid signal on all three encoder signals. I tugged on the cable at the PCB connector and up in the spindle and didn't get any trips or signal drops.

I also discovered I can just turn the spindle by hand and eventually it will trip with the same alarm just from me rotating it back and forth. This whole thing feels like noise or something being picked up - I just wish I could confirm it.

OK, so I've replaced the cable to the encoder. Looks like no effect on the issue. That means I've replaced the CPU board (to solve the original issue), swapped 2 MOCON boards, replaced the encoder, and its cable - all with no noticeable effect on the problem. I think I'm out of ideas.

Can I disable hard tapping so the machine quits paying attention to the signal?
Does anyone have a parameter set I can use for comparison from a 1996-ish VF2 with Vector Drive?

I think we've finally got it. Thanks to eaglemike for sending us his old VF2 parameters. My best guess is that the issue is related to the machine being programmed for a 10,000RPM spindle when it's actually 7,500RPM. That was evident looking at his parameters for a 7500 machine. Everything seemed to be working fine, including the RPM readout, but somehow the Rigid Tapping encoder was the thing to throw errors. After using his spindle-related params, the machine is up and running better than it ever has. It'll still take a day or two before I really believe it, but there's hope...

help with drive vector parameters

I think we've finally got it. Thanks to eaglemike for sending us his old VF2 parameters. My best guess is that the issue is related to the machine being programmed for a 10,000RPM spindle when it's actually 7,500RPM. That was evident looking at his parameters for a 7500 machine. Everything seemed to be working fine, including the RPM readout, but somehow the Rigid Tapping encoder was the thing to throw errors. After using his spindle-related params, the machine is up and running better than it ever has. It'll still take a day or two before I really believe it, but there's hope...

I have a similar problem with a haas vf4.

I lost parameters and I have problems configuring vector drive with baldor motor.
7.5k, gearbox

can you help me with the parameters

I have a similar problem with a haas vf4.

I lost parameters and I have problems configuring vector drive with baldor motor.
7.5k, gearbox

can you help me with the parameters

That member last posted on May of 2018, so may not be visiting anymore and may not see your message. But he has an email link (click on his user name) and might respond if you contact him directly.

Can you share your parameters for the baldor motor? My Lincoln motor is in bad shape and I’m replacing with a Baldor. Thank you.

Back