What's new
What's new

HAAS VF2 leaking oil into oil overflow

jimk1960

Aluminum
My HAAS VF2 is leaking coolant into the oil overflow.
I am guessing a seal has gone out, is there any way to figure out if this is the case?
Is there another problem that could be causing this problem?
I am concerned about using it until either I can figure out how to fix it or get the HAAS folks ($$$$) out to take care of it.

coolent overflow.jpg

Any thoughts or Ideas?

Thanks

Jim

Two things. The labyrinth is plugged up (the square box that tube comes out of).
Call HAAS, get the $5 gasket, disassemble-clean-reassemble.
Dredge the two troughs inside the main bed casting that lead to that little bugger. Look inside it with a mirror, or just stick your arm in there like a man and feel around. You will figure it out.
If you don't, rather than run out that little tube into the little bucket, that coolant will be all over the floor.

Actually three things. Fix your Y way cover seals.

Oiler from screws and rails drips down onto casting and flows to back tube out and into that lil oil catcher.

When axis cover seals loose their sealing ability OR you point coolant to by pass...all that extra coolant joins the way lube oil.

So as said..replace seals, re position your coolant nozzles and life will be good again.

Y way covers are the root of the problem, yes.
But, the box is still plugged up and cannot do its job.
There is another tube coming off that box that is supposed to direct that coolant back in to the coolant tank.
It cant do that if the coolant cant get to it. Labyrinth is plugged.

Y way covers are the root of the problem, yes.
But, the box is still plugged up and cannot do its job.
There is another tube coming off that box that is supposed to direct that coolant back in to the coolant tank.
It cant do that if the coolant cant get to it. Labyrinth is plugged.

Sometimes you can blow a little compressed air backwards through the line that drains back to the coolant tank and remove the obstruction in the labyrinth without any disassembly. Most likely a wad of chips in the line.

Oiler from screws and rails drips down onto casting and flows to back tube out and into that lil oil catcher.

When axis cover seals loose their sealing ability OR you point coolant to by pass...all that extra coolant joins the way lube oil.

So as said..replace seals, re position your coolant nozzles and life will be good again.

This is the best plan here. If you don't fix the seal issue this will continue.

I have seen this HUNDREDS of times, im working for an independent service company that our main focus is Preventive maintenance. All you have to do is remove the plate (Haas calls this an oil water separator the "tube" at the top is to drain tramp oils into the catch can and there is a steal hose that runs back to the coolant tank there is always some coolant in the unit so the oil will drain out of the top, remove the screws and the two bolts and blow both larger holes with air (rubber tip on the air gun helps a lot). What is happening is the coolant return line is plugged causing the separator to hold too much coolant... only one other place for it to go. As for sealing it save your self the call to the HFO and get some RTV ultra blue to seal it back up and no more leak!

I have seen this HUNDREDS of times, im working for an independent service company that our main focus is Preventive maintenance. All you have to do is remove the plate (Haas calls this an oil water separator the "tube" at the top is to drain tramp oils into the catch can and there is a steal hose that runs back to the coolant tank there is always some coolant in the unit so the oil will drain out of the top, remove the screws and the two bolts and blow both larger holes with air (rubber tip on the air gun helps a lot). What is happening is the coolant return line is plugged causing the separator to hold too much coolant... only one other place for it to go. As for sealing it save your self the call to the HFO and get some RTV ultra blue to seal it back up and no more leak!
Haas noob here. I've cleaned the separator but I've read I need to "charge" it with a cup of coolant. What does this mean exactly, and where should I pour this cup of coolant?

When I clean the separator, I pour coolant back through the tramp oil drain with a flex funnel, after reassembly. Might be a better way, but it has worked for me. I believe the charge is just to fill the labyrinth enough to not get tramp oil in the coolant drain.

Back