What's new
What's new

Haas vf3 in home shop... looking for your thoughts

Threephase

Plastic
Just like the title said. I have the opportunity to buy 2 different haas vf3 machines... but I don't have a Comercial bulding. Just my home shop. With two lathes one 9x42 knee mill and one 9x42 horizontal mill.

But thinking of stuffing the haas in there. 12500lbs and a 8x10 foot foot print.8.5 ft tall.

What are your guys thoughts.

Keep in mind the price is extremely right.

The major issue is the machine that I'd more than likely end up with is 480 volt. And I'm not sure how to go about that.

I am adding onto shop in the spring. So I could pour a spot for the old girl.

I'm probably going to end up with a vf2 or 3 in my home shop, I don't see anything wrong with it. Especially when the price is right!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Have you seen one in person? They are large machines (relatively speaking). You will need 3 feet on all sides at a minimum for maintenance. Also, remember that with the Z all the way up, it's a lot taller.

If you can fit a vf3 why not get vf4? Same footprint and extra 10 inches on X for only an extra $3000. I had to settle for a vf2 ytss, as it's the biggest machine I could reasonably fit in my garage shop. As elwsey said these machines feel huge if you are not accustomed to them. When I first saw the vf4 it was a bit of a shock, and I quickly realized it was not going to be a practical fit.

RE:480
There will be a built in multi-tap transformer to allow the 480 volt input. The machine runs at 240. You will just need to bypass that transformer or get the lower voltage one.

Your 'equipment list' sounds like more than just a 'home shop', more like you are working your way into making some money with your 'hobby shop'. A good deal on a cnc will go a long way toward that goal. Just check out the machine carefully; from reading this board Haas has introduced a new control and is limiting support for older equipment. This will probably lead to a third party support system like fanuc has in short order so may be meaningless.

RE:480
There will be a built in multi-tap transformer to allow the 480 volt input. The machine runs at 240. You will just need to bypass that transformer or get the lower voltage one.

That's the positive thinking I like to hear.

On the support issues red James mentioned. ... I wonder if a Mach 3 retro could be done if it ever came down to it?

On the support issues red James mentioned. ... I wonder if a Mach 3 retro could be done if it ever came down to it?

You would be better of spending the $8-$10,000 on the processor upgrade. You would loose about the same money on resale anyway (if not more) if you tried to retrofit that machine with mach3. no one will want that machine converted. Ewlsey is right.

Jason,

I bought a vf0 for my home garage. The issue I found was 3 phase, and the height of the machine - not when in the garage (it has a pitched roof), but the issue would have been the door, would nearly needed knocking down the building just to get it in.

In the end the seller ended up being a scammer, but thats another story.

Those would be the two things I'd be checking

I really liked all of the VF3's that I have had. Much more than the VF4 and VF6, they tore up my back loading and un-loading. I'm not sure what vintage you are looking at, but I have a warm spot in my heart for the ~'98 we had once upon a time. Best Haas I ever ran.

Three issues you are going to run into:

Power. These draw quite a bit of power. I hope from your user name, you have an abundance of 3 phase. If you have 240 volts, it is a pretty simple and relatively inexpensive proposition to get a bump or boost transformer. I had to do that once and it wasn't too bad. If you need to get a phase convertor, I think Phase Perfect can both make your third leg and bump up the voltage.

Door/ Ceiling height. Since you said garage, I am going to assume standard garage door. If it is only 7-8 foot tall, it can be a large undertaking to get it under the header. Plan on doing some construction. Secondly, depending on you ceiling height, you may need to do something with above the Z column. At one place, I had to build a dog house above the column to allow it to go all the way up. Wasn't to bad to do since I just roughed it in with a sawzall and then had someone do the drywall.

Cement thickness. This is a wild card that I never worry about, but probably should. With this machine, you are probably over what a residential slab can withstand, according to the books. Then again, I don't know anyone that has actually destroyed a slab so I don't worry about it. You could be the first.

Haas VF3 has 6 leveling feet, averaging 2083 pounds per leveling foot. Since the column is usually the heaviest portion, the weight is not evenly distributed. Haas simply says a 6" reinforced slab is what they recommend.

I'd agree that a 4" slab might be iffy and *could* have some settling issues depending on how good your soil is and how dry it is.

What are your guys thoughts.

I just got done installing a new VF2 in my garage. I owned a VF3-SS a few years ago (in a real industrial setting). I would nave gone with a VF3 had it not been for two things:

1- The HFO had to disassemble the top of the VF2 just to make it fit through the door and put it back together once inside. A VF3 would have been nearly impossible. Particularly with a side-mounted tool changer. Yes, I had to get the umbrella tool changer on the VF2.

2- Power. I was very concerned that I would not have the power to handle something like a VF3. For my purposes today the VF2 works fine.

As an aside, I opted to install a digital phase converter instead of a rotary. They are far more efficient (97%) and can run multiple machines at the same time because they can respond to load changes instantly (no rotating mass). I went with a 20HP Phase Perfect model. So far very happy with the results.

Back