What's new
What's new

Haas vf6, AND vf3 no longer receiving via rs232

D Dubeau

Hot Rolled
Very strange problem here. We've got a vf6, and vf3, that somehow over the weekend decided to stop listening via the rs232 ports. Both machines worked fine when shut down on Friday, now BOTH machines will not receive programs (we drip feed everything via onecnc). They WILL send programs from the control to the computer, but not the other way around. I'm not able to load programs into the control, nor drip feed. No error message, just says waiting for data, as if it's not even connected.

Spent a bit of time, swapping computers, and cables back and forth from one machine to another, even swapped the boards around in the machines themselves, still nothing.

Any ideas? I've read a few threads that suggest bad cables, maybe, but both at the same time? One cable is 10 years old, and the other 2. Anything is possible, but I think I'd have better odds at hitting the lottery. Gonna head to the shop next door to see if I can borrow a known good cable to test it out, but is there anything else I should check as well? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Dan.

Edit: Borrowed a good cable from shop next door, and still nothing. Same problem. Talking to one of the owners he said there was a pretty good storm up here over the weekend, and some of his equipment got fried, so at least now I have a direction to chase.

Edit #2: Swapped my desktop office computer with ones at both machines, and we're back to normal. Sooooo, i'm thinking both computers got fried over the weekend as they were both on (we leave them on all the time). I'm loading up another spare that's been sitting around for a while, and I'm pretty sure I'll be back running at least one machine for now. Local computer shop should have the old ones back up and running cheap. I'm just glad it wasn't something in either Haas.

Back