What's new
What's new

Haas VF6 vs Fatal 6030 or other 30" Y VMC

Jay Fleming

Hot Rolled
After giving some thought to my 4020 question asked previously, my plans have changed and now a 30" Y would be better suited. The main ones I know of that would be closer to my budget are the VF6 and 6030. I'm sure there are others but I haven't stumbled across them yet. I don't think either of these would be at the top of anyone's list as far as their little brothers go but without knowing other competitors, this is the only comparison I can research. I'm mostly concerned about structure, tool changers and controls. Speed and machine specific options aren't a big deal because I'll just have to take what I can get. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jay

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I guess it would have been helpful to say I'm looking at older used machines. I looked but didn't see any Doosan/Daewoo 750s.

I've never been tooling up a machine that big, but 30" is a hell of a long reach. A 20" Y is just nice for that, so maybe something to consider because the unhandiness will probably get to you when lugging around 50 taper toolholders. But, you do what you gotta do.

Seeing how the 6030 is pretty rare and Fadal hasn't been in biz for a long time, I'd probably look at the VF6 myself. If it was a commodity machine I'd say sure, but a 6030 is a bit of a unicorn.

Another machine to look at, if you aren't afraid of low prices and out-of-biz companies, is the Tree 1060, that's 40x24.

I'd say the support for Fadal is such that they're worth looking at. I ran a 6030 intermittently at my first job along with the VMC15 I was on every night. I'd take the Haas if it had the sidemount toolchanger though. The VF-6 is 32" in Y and 64" in X. It should come with steps to reach the table (we have a VF-6SS), because it's UP there. A new-enough Haas will have the ability to add software options though and of course, Haas will still support it.

Seeing how the 6030 is pretty rare and Fadal hasn't been in biz for a long time, I'd probably look at the VF6 myself. If it was a commodity machine I'd say sure, but a 6030 is a bit of a unicorn.

Another machine to look at, if you aren't afraid of low prices and out-of-biz companies, is the Tree 1060, that's 40x24.
The 24" Y doesn't quite reach far enough. Looking for at least 26".

We were in the same boat a while back. Wanted 30" Y. I found the Leadwell MCV, MCP, or MV1300. They are 53 x 30.

On edit, I could give more details to save you some research time. Mine are open bed, boxway with Fanuc om controls. 4000rpm BT50. The newer ones are enclosed and can get roller way and CAT spindles.

Last edited:
We were in the same boat a while back. Wanted 30" Y. I found the Leadwell MCV, MCP, or MV1300. They are 53 x 30.

On edit, I could give more details to save you some research time. Mine are open bed, boxway with Fanuc om controls. 4000rpm BT50. The newer ones are enclosed and can get roller way and CAT spindles.

I looked at the older Leadwells you mention. The spindle speed and the open bed are the biggest issues. I didn't see any available that were between the open bed style like yours or a brand new enclosed and I can't justify a new-ish machine.

That was the year they switched to AC servos.

I started with a 4020, regret it, should it been better with a 6030
6030 can do small and big, for the budget hard to beat, but if
more resources "money" vf6, better re-sale value.
Fadal was for starters back then late 90s.
other oriental brands are good but command more money and
repairs also a lot more expensive, also what you cut material-wise
if steel go with korean brands, aluminum vf6 or fadal 6030
my opinion.

I have a Tree V1500 from 2000 that is actually made by Kao Ming. It is 60 X 30 X 30, CAT 50, 6000rprm, 32 tool magazine, 30 hp, box-way machine. Fanuc 18 MC control. ladder has 4th axis in it. Machine needs a servo drive, jumper cables and one more button to install the 4th axis. The rest of the wiring, relays, etc, are present.

Actual travel: 60.239 X 33.269 X 32.07. It is a workhorse.

While not totally trouble free, it has been, and continues to be an excellent machine. The vast majority of the problems have been with the tool magazine which is made by Gifu.

I would buy another one.

Thanks Alphonso.

The 6000 rpm hurts. I like the 10k spindle of the Fadal and while the Haas has it as an option, it seems all Fadals I've found are 10k. I mainly want to do aluminum and a lot of profiling, so while the lower rpm spindles I've found would normally be okay, the 10k is very desirable.

Thanks Alphonso.

The 6000 rpm hurts. I like the 10k spindle of the Fadal and while the Haas has it as an option, it seems all Fadals I've found are 10k. I mainly want to do aluminum and a lot of profiling, so while the lower rpm spindles I've found would normally be okay, the 10k is very desirable.

Yeah, I'm frequently needing more rpms for aluminum and engraving part numbers. Been seriously considering a speeder.

There was/is an 8000rpm option. KAO MING MACHINERY

Not being an ass here, but our shop and another in the same small town have Fadal 6030s that run 6 days a week. I've been watching them on the 'bay for awhile, and there are at least a dozen of them up for grabs there at all times.

Ours has the 32MP control, and a Takisawa 5th.

I don't know if the OP has run Fadals, (my bias is showing by now) but give them a look.

The unicorn I think would be the 6535 50 taper. I lust after that one.

Not being an ass here, but our shop and another in the same small town have Fadal 6030s that run 6 days a week. I've been watching them on the 'bay for awhile, and there are at least a dozen of them up for grabs there at all times.

Ours has the 32MP control, and a Takisawa 5th.

I don't know if the OP has run Fadals, (my bias is showing by now) but give them a look.

The unicorn I think would be the 6535 50 taper. I lust after that one.
I agree about the availability. I've never run anything with an enclosure but Fadal has always been on my radar since I've been thinking about a proper vmc. The nice thing about a 6030 is the $20k price tag vs $50k for a vf6 that still only has an 8k spindle. I guess I really need to put my hands on one to see if it is something I really want.

I've never run anything with an enclosure but Fadal has always been on my radar since I've been thinking about a proper vmc. The nice thing about a 6030 is the $20k price tag vs $50k for a vf6 that still only has an 8k spindle. I guess I really need to put my hands on one to see if it is something I really want.

You'll be a happy camper the first time you run a machine with a full enclosure, whether it's a Fadal or otherwise. Not having to worry about coolant/chips (occasionaly parts) not spraying out of an unenclosed machine is priceless.
I have a 4020, if I did it again I'd get a 6030

Back