What's new
What's new

HAAS vf8 deleted my tool height offset

jaymiller

Plastic
today i was running a job on the 4th axis and i had my 6th part in the machine. the last tool gets called up to thread mill an npt and the tool just slammed into my part with rapids at 100. yes i near shit my pants but luckily my hand wasnt far from cycle stop. upon investigation my height offset got reset back to zero some how. i certainly didnt erase it, has anyone ran into this issue and could give me some info thanks

I'm calling BS. O.E. is often in ignorance of some minor detail but the software is rarely wrong, unless everything else is crazy too. Especially that control. I think you would have bugs all over, not one single ladder statement that defaulted to zero a TLO.

Robert

today i was running a job on the 4th axis and i had my 6th part in the machine. the last tool gets called up to thread mill an npt and the tool just slammed into my part with rapids at 100. yes i near shit my pants but luckily my hand wasnt far from cycle stop. upon investigation my height offset got reset back to zero some how. i certainly didnt erase it, has anyone ran into this issue and could give me some info thanks

Do you work alone, no saboteurs around?

I'm calling BS. O.E. is often in ignorance of some minor detail but the software is rarely wrong, unless everything else is crazy too. Especially that control. I think you would have bugs all over, not one single ladder statement that defaulted to zero a TLO.

Robert

you can call bs all you want but it still dont change the facts

Never happen to me where offsets "Just Disappeared".

I have however entered a tool offset in the wrong location...the tool is in the correct pocket but entered value elsewhere.
I have deleted my value when clearing the register not paying attention.

It is easy to blame machine...but I have found rarely this the case...its usually me not paying close enough attention.

Not saying it can't be a quirk, I did say rarely...but that is usually something you can recreate...
-like when my tapping cycle would alarm out in the lathe. With tap in part, machine would alarm, Spindle Stopped...then Z axis went Rapid to R clearance plain. Usually breaking or pulling tap out of holder...didn't make much difference which as if tool didn't already break...it would as it was pulled out from holder enough to crash into the next part...or it pulled the work out of the spindle...took a bit to figure that out.

Robert

I have to agree with this. I have found when "the machine" did something crazy there was an explanation behind it that made sense, and was rarely (if ever IMO) a complete wtf. I worked with a guy who would claim "the lathe jumped" and that is why he would scrap parts. Funny thing, the the "lathe" only messed up with one or two select people.

I myself crashed a part when I was missing a G17 after some 3d machining. There was a reason for the crash, even tho at the time I swore the machine was bugged. It still sucked, but it was explainable.

As to someone messing with you, it happens. I worked with a guy that told me he one time shut off the coolant on someones machine because he was pissed off at him. I saw that guy in a completely different light after he told me that. :eek:

I would hate to think this is even something possible, but it did happen, and apparently not just to me. I use a tool setting probe, so it's impossible to enter the wrong tool. If you were to enter some bs number, it wouldn't come up zero. Even if you entered zero, the control would question you as to the increment being too large. On me, it happened on the second part, nothing was changed at all from the first part.

Is it possible that I accidently hit the wrong button and somehow cleared it? Absolutely. But if it isn't a control glitch, i'd like to know what I did.

Error trapping offset values sounds like a better idea the more I think about it. I do see a problem with low volume work since the error traps take time to set up. Another idea I have is to set offsets with G10 before the tool runs.

Same here we use a renishaw probe system so no way I could enter the offset in the wrong register. And like I said I had already ran 5 parts thru. I know you can clear the register by pressing the origin button and selecting clear offsets but I wasn't in the offsets screen at all between parts. I'm pretty familiar with haas and I don't go just pressing random buttons. If there is a button that can be pressed and delete the offset I would like to know and I kinda hope that is the case.

I don't know how I'd deal with that, it would make running the machine at all, seem very risky. Maybe rerun the program over and over in graphic simulation mode, and see if you can make it happen again?

I don't know how I'd deal with that, it would make running the machine at all, seem very risky. Maybe rerun the program over and over in graphic simulation mode, and see if you can make it happen again?

Never have had a single problem with the machine. I figured I wasn't paying attention and accidently cleared it somehow (which is what I hope happened) But then when I read this thread, got me worrying that it happened to someone else.

Why would re-setting the tool offset to zero make it crash into the part. The offset is the distance away from the home position. Home position is up at the top of the Z, and is a negative number down. Setting this to zero makes the tool go through the cycle starting from the machine z zero. About as safe as you can make it. (I set my edge finder like this). I don't see how a haas could be setup any differently. If your going to use this excuse with your boss, tell him it added -10.00 to the tool offset... That'll make some noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would re-setting the tool offset to zero make it crash into the part. The offset is the distance away from the home position. Home position is up at the top of the Z, and is a negative number down. Setting this to zero makes the tool go through the cycle starting from the machine z zero. About as safe as you can make it. (I set my edge finder like this). I don't see how a haas could be setup any differently. If your going to use this excuse with your boss, tell him it added -10.00 to the tool offset... That'll make some noise.

That isn't the only way, it's one of 5 that I know of probably more.

When you use a Renishaw probe, the tool lengths are positive, ie, the actual gage length of the tool. If you TLO is 4.000 and suddenly get changed to 0, what's that line from airplane? "You're too low"

Back