What's new
What's new

Haas vs Hurco vs Milltronics

alumold

Plastic
We are a mold shop doing all aluminum tooling and currently run two Fadals with Numatix controls but are looking into getting a new machine with 5 axis capability. Does anyone have any input on a Haas VM3 or a Milltronics VM3224 with a 5 Axis add on vs a Hurco Tilt head machine? Is Hurco in the same class as Haas or Miltronics? Thanks

I have run Haas Mini-mills and a VF-9 and currently run a Hurco VMX42. While I haven't run machines in a real comparable size, IMHO the Hurco is a better machine mechanically. Not a top of the line machine but pretty solid. If you are going to be doing much programming at the machine, it is a no-brainer for the Hurco. We don't have the option for 3D work but it looks to be powerful. I have done some full 4th axis work and lots of 3+1 and the coversational control makes it easy.

As a G-code machine, it is OK. The editor sucks but if you have a CAM system that won't matter. I handcode with Notepad. As I have gotten more knowledgable with the conversational, I only use G-code for macros or to eliminate air-cutting for parts that are longer runs with lots of hogging. I wish we had the Merge option. It allows you to combine conversational with Gcode in one program which would allow the best of worlds.

The last shop I was in was all Milltronics. I can't speak about the particular model you asked about, but I did like the controls. Some say Haas has the best controls, but they don't have twistable knobs for spindle speed or feed rate control. That was something I didn't like about the Haas, but that's just me. If you do go with a Milltronics, make sure it has the DNC-FAST option. This will allow you to run the programmed feed rate on 3-D surfaces, but it turns off a lot of processor functions. No G2 or G3, and drill routines need the full line of code for each hole location.

Some say Haas has the best controls, but they don't have twistable knobs for spindle speed or feed rate control. That was something I didn't like about the Haas, but that's just me.

96 and Newer Haas machine can turn the main wheel knob to change speeds and feeds from 0 to 999% just have to hit the button first to pick the one you want then spin away.

Haas is probably the simplest control and a good machine, I do like the HURCO more #1 because of the conversational control! Beats them all hands down and they are just a little more ridged. I would have gotten on here at ASU but we want to keep the same control because of the students, they engineering students not machine technology students.

96 and Newer Haas machine can turn the main wheel knob to change speeds and feeds from 0 to 999% just have to hit the button first to pick the one you want then spin away.

Haas is probably the simplest control and a good machine, I do like the HURCO more #1 because of the conversational control! Beats them all hands down and they are just a little more ridged. I would have gotten on here at ASU but we want to keep the same control because of the students, they engineering students not machine technology students.

The button part of the equation is what I didn't like. When you're running a program for the first time and things go wonky, time spent searching for a button to push before turning the handwheel could be the difference between saving it and watching your cutter break.

The button part of the equation is what I didn't like. When you're running a program for the first time and things go wonky, time spent searching for a button to push before turning the handwheel could be the difference between saving it and watching your cutter break.

You push the " Handle control Feedrate " button BEFORE you start the program for the first time, and off you go. No need for searching.
The fact that you can go as slow as 1% and as high as 999% .... surely makes up for the not-so-smart "Dryrun" feature on the Haas.
I have a Milltronics and I hate that the same freakin' knob does every freakin' thing. Rapid override, feedrate override and step-amount...
'bout to wear the damn thing out!
The other thing I hate about it is that at 140% ( it's max setting ), it will shut down the servos in rapid mode ..... due to speed too high error....
Really?

Back