What's new
What's new

Hard milling on a haas vm2?!

HSM_CHIEF

Aluminum
Is it possible to hard mill on a 2012 haas vm2 with a 12k spindle? I was wondering if you guys thinks it's possible to hard mill on this machine using cutters down to .050 in diameter to hard mill face details within +-.0005? Material would be hardened tool steel S7 and 3V rock welling 55-58

Shouldn't be a problem. How hard is the material you are milling? You may be surprised how hard you can machine with a good variable helix end mill. Our hardmilling endmills can be run dry or with flood coolant, that will help you maintain a tight tolerance on the part. Just make sure your tool holders are nice and short gage length and get good concentricity. If you don't see any sizes you need we can stock additional sizes for you, typically in 2-3 weeks.

Solid Carbide Hard Milling End Mills - MariTool

Sorry I just updated the post... the material would be hardned tool steels like S7 and 3V with a Rockwell around 55-58. Does maritool make end mills down to .050 in diameter?

Absolutely, we have done it with our VF's. I recommend a good end mill (and Frank Mari's got you covered there) and a good toolholder (and again). Now, I will say, a hydraulic holder might help for purposes of tool runout. But we have done it using plain ER32 chucks, holding tolerances of .0005 total.

Let me reaffirm my runout comment since you're dealing with small cutters. Very very important. You would want to see runout on a tool like that of no more than, say, .0002. Anything more and I wouldn't expect it to last too terribly long...

Yeah I know if I have much run out I'll be probably doubling my chip load and the tool wouldn't last. We have a few shrink fit holders I use for roughing in soft material and we use Pioneer ER16 tools holders for making electrodes to burn face details and I can get less then .0002 runout if I bump them in. We're trying to get away from doing so much edm burning. A lot of the stuff we do has small corner radi that's why I need to use such small cutters.

I'll pick a few up and give them a try. I've just recently started using your end mills and I like them for soft milling. Thanks for the advise!

I'll have to talk to my boss about it but what would you suggest 3 or 4 flute? Max length id need would be .1 right now we are using microcut diamond coated and they last in graphite but we have never tried hardmilling on our machining centers especially with cutters that small so I do not really know a lot about hardmilling right now.

Okay sounds good thanks for the advise! I have another quick question for you I recently ordered a .625 relieved shank end mill from you guys. I was wondering if you could suggest some feeds and speeds. I used it to cut soft 3V I had 3.125 inch of hangout and was running 260sfm a .040 step over .625 depth of cut and around .002fpt it cut well but I ended up slightly chipping a flute. What do you suggest I change for next time? Again thanks for all the advise!

I would probably bring surface footage down to 220 and reduce fpt to .0013. Hard part with these endmills is making proper recommendations. What you can do with this tool at short hangout compared to hanging it out 3 or 4 inches is night and day. Good luck!

Back