What's new
What's new

Hardinge guide way grease, alternatives?

Dave K

Diamond
Hardinge uses grease instead of way oil on their linear way machines. The grease they recommend is Kluber isoflex, NBU15.

I'm usually not one to stray from manufacturers recommendations, but, does anyone know of an equivalent grease that can be used in place of this? This grease is good for 600 hours, and then you need to grease again. I would need something that's good for close to that many hours again, as the control is set to alarm every 600 hours. Kluber is 120.00 per tube. In the grand scheme of things, it's not really as bad as it sounds price wise, but it sure would be nice to be able to go to an industrial supply facility and just buy it off the shelf.

I guess that brings the question that can hopefully be answered by SOMEONE...WTF is the special magical difference in that Kluber grease?!?!?

Jeff

I was checking Kluber's website going through their search that's not the grease they seem to recommend for linear rails, but I don't know the cost of the one they do recommend.

The Isoflex you mention shows up under spindle bearing greases.
http://www.klubersolutions.com/pdfs/Isoflex NBU 15.pdf

Klüber Lubrication - Corporate Website - Applications - Components - Linear guides

I do kinda remember a thread about this in the mazak section as they use grease as well.

Just be thankful its not Krytox :D

I have been using a "water resistant" grease from Fuchs.

I have one machine torn down currently for linear rail changes, but if you seen what these things run in - I can't believe they didn't need changed several yrs ago!

I have a chumm that runs whatever "water resistant" grease they have on the shelf at NAPA. And has done so for many yrs.

Is it as good? I don't know. I'm guessing NOT.

-------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I was checking Kluber's website going through their search that's not the grease they seem to recommend for linear rails, but I don't know the cost of the one they do recommend.

The Isoflex you mention shows up under spindle bearing greases.
http://www.klubersolutions.com/pdfs/Isoflex NBU 15.pdf

Klüber Lubrication - Corporate Website - Applications - Components - Linear guides

I do kinda remember a thread about this in the mazak section as they use grease as well.

Just be thankful its not Krytox :D

Yeah, I noticed that too, that it's spindle bearing grease, but, that's definitely what's recommended. It's on a metal tag riveted to the machine.

Yeah, I noticed that too, that it's spindle bearing grease, but, that's definitely what's recommended. It's on a metal tag riveted to the machine.
Dave.

How much are they suggesting to put in? Probably not a good idea to be changing the grease at this stage, some of those greases don’t play well together. And you wont find anything better at anywhere near the price.

Little and often is the rule of thumb, if you can see grease oozing out of the sides or ends of the bearings, that’s way too much. That means the bearing is full, especially the return tracks at the end of the bearing. I’ve seen the plastic end return housings blown out or the seals blown by over greasing.

For something that gets replenished every 600 hours. You should only be using a few cc’s per bearing.

What’s your tube at $120, 400 grams? That would be 200 bearing shots in my book. The grease should hit its shelve life before you use it up.

Regards Phil.

Dave.

How much are they suggesting to put in? Probably not a good idea to be changing the grease at this stage, some of those greases don’t play well together. And you wont find anything better at anywhere near the price.

Little and often is the rule of thumb, if you can see grease oozing out of the sides or ends of the bearings, that’s way too much. That means the bearing is full, especially the return tracks at the end of the bearing. I’ve seen the plastic end return housings blown out or the seals blown by over greasing.

For something that gets replenished every 600 hours. You should only be using a few cc’s per bearing.

What’s your tube at $120, 400 grams? That would be 200 bearing shots in my book. The grease should hit its shelve life before you use it up.

Regards Phil.

2-3 pumps per fitting is what they recommend. I have no way to visually look at these bearings while greasing, unless I were to start dis-assembling the machine.
I'll stick with what's recommended. I was just checking.

I guess that brings the question that can hopefully be answered by SOMEONE...WTF is the special magical difference in that Kluber grease?!?!?

Jeff

I'd like to know that too. But, if you were to have some sort of linear guide way issue that was supposed to be under warranty, I'll bet they wouldn't cover it if they found out you were using a different grease other than Kluber.

Mazak uses Mobil EP1 for the guides and ballscrews. It's CHEAP. Like 20 bucks for a case of 12 tubes. These are automatic systems that pump every so many hours though, so I'm not sure how that compares to your every 600 hours recommendation. I'm still on the first case from 6 or 7 years ago though, so I wouldn't be surprised if the actual grease consumption is similar to what your Hardinge is using.

Both of our 5x machines use the same Kluber grease, for what it's worth, I asked about using something else, and both of the manufactures said absolutely not, they won't stand good for any failures with other grease in there. I would guess Kluber is good stuff.

Both of our 5x machines use the same Kluber grease, for what it's worth, I asked about using something else, and both of the manufactures said absolutely not, they won't stand good for any failures with other grease in there. I would guess Kluber is good stuff.

Yeah, It's probably best I leave things as they are. Sometimes, other brands come out with an "equivalent" and sell it a little cheaper.

I'v got a Hardinge a machine also, and got the Kluber from Kluber USA directly for just over $100 per tube - I think it was $106 for the 400 gram tube.

I checked and searched, and checked - Mobil, Esso, and Shell rep's all three said thier greases will not play well with the Kluber. They all said that mixing them would make one or the other seperate and bad news thereafter. They did say all would be fine if I were to completely purge the Kluber before loading their product.

Not to big a deal considering the costs some of my other machines rack up!(don't ever buy a Monarch CNC lathe!!!!)

I can not understand why machine manufacturers recommend Kluber NBU15 for linear guides. Why?

Well, make no mistake, NBU15 is the world standard for spindle bearings. But, it is a type of grease that will break down very quickly when mixed or exposed to coolants.

And I don't care how good a machines way covers are, eventually some coolant can find it's way onto the linear guides. Not good for the Kluber....

We use the Kluber on our Hardinge Lathe. But the 1995 and 1998 cinci mills get just a good quality general purpose grease. The cinci mills have about a zillion hours on them and still going well.

FWIW

So, did anyone check with Kluber to see if the other greases they list as being specially for linear rails are compatible with the NBU15 and if its worth switching in the event that they're compatible? I'd expect their real linear rail grease would be more resistant to coolant and such than the NBU15?

Back