What's new
What's new

Hardinge Superslant - Live Tooling Problem

BEST_CNC

Plastic
Hi, I hope I am posting in the correct place on the forum. We have here a Hardinge Superslant Twin Turret machine - I know what you're thinking, but believe me it was a bargain...

Anyway, we are having some issues with the Live Tooling. I have the Live Tooling example program from the manual that came with the machine, and program is as follows:

S250 M03 - 250RPM, SPINDLE FORWARD
T0505 G04 - INDEX TO STATION 5, DELAY OFFSETS
X50. Z50. - LINEAR MOVE, ENTER TOOL OFFSETS
M19 - SPINDLE ORIENT TO ALLOW INCREMENTAL ORIENT
M45 - SPINDLE ORIENT COMMAND 120DEGREES
S2000 M53 - ROTATE TURRET SPINDLE CLOCKWISE, 2000RPM, COOLANT ON

When the machine reads the M19 code, there is a slight delay and the spindle slows right down and I can hear the pin drop into the spindle to lock it into place. The problem that I have is that after this happens, the "External Message" screen pops up and reads "2007 SPINDLE LOCK PIN ENGAGED". But it halts the program and won't move past that block. If I hit reset, the pin pops back out.

Does anyone have any idea why this may be happening? Perhaps the plunger is not dropping in far enough to lock the spindle?

Welcome to PM.

I had a slant, machine was a nightmare, cut great when it ran. Which was not often. Go with God my son. :codger:
Not a live tool machine so I have no direct experience but I do own several other hardinge lathes with live tool.

It seems strange to me to call M19 then call the incremental move but maybe that was before absolute spindle encoders? It seems to be saying that you can't do the M45 because the spindle shot pin is already locked in....

What happens if you just stop the spindle and then call the 120 degree orient? I realize you may not maintain absolute orientation that way but it's just a trouble shooting step.

There are some former Hardinge employees around here...maybe they will stop in.

Superslant Live tooling

Hi, I hope I am posting in the correct place on the forum. We have here a Hardinge Superslant Twin Turret machine - I know what you're thinking, but believe me it was a bargain...

Anyway, we are having some issues with the Live Tooling. I have the Live Tooling example program from the manual that came with the machine, and program is as follows:

S250 M03 - 250RPM, SPINDLE FORWARD
T0505 G04 - INDEX TO STATION 5, DELAY OFFSETS
X50. Z50. - LINEAR MOVE, ENTER TOOL OFFSETS
M19 - SPINDLE ORIENT TO ALLOW INCREMENTAL ORIENT
M45 - SPINDLE ORIENT COMMAND 120DEGREES
S2000 M53 - ROTATE TURRET SPINDLE CLOCKWISE, 2000RPM, COOLANT ON

When the machine reads the M19 code, there is a slight delay and the spindle slows right down and I can hear the pin drop into the spindle to lock it into place. The problem that I have is that after this happens, the "External Message" screen pops up and reads "2007 SPINDLE LOCK PIN ENGAGED". But it halts the program and won't move past that block. If I hit reset, the pin pops back out.

Does anyone have any idea why this may be happening? Perhaps the plunger is not dropping in far enough to lock the spindle?
I have one that has live tooling
You need to program the following my example has me drilling two cross holes
After your move say as follows
I use a work shift so as to index turret very close to make parts fast my work shift is
-.750 in offset page called work shift.
G20 G98 (not G99 that wont work so G98)
G0 X1.0 Z0. T0101
G97 M03 S100 ( or 250 I use 100)
M19 (orient spindle)
M53 S2000 (Live tooling forward 2000 rpm)
G0 Z-.375 X.5
G1 X.260 F1.3 (not F.002 ) I think this is your problem
G0 X.5
M46 (Orient 180 degree)
G1 X.260
G0 X4.0
M05 (Stop live tooling)
Z1.0

Morning Guy's,

I also have a hardinge superslant, It has been retrofitted with PC based and Delta Tau Controller, I am just learning to program it and make parts. I am also looking for any parts that may be out there. Drop me a note if anyone has anything,

Thx
Jim

Not that this will be of any help...

But I remember Tom "from Hardinge" RE: indexing on the spindle for the Hardinge Conquest (modern machine) posted on Pm forum saying that that had to be run from what he termed as being "B" / "B-mode"... In other words not to apply the brake but position (live) off the belts / drive motor. [Was kinda getting to the reason why indexing on the C axis only has positional (nominal accuracy) of 1 degree.]. Tom seemed to think it was Ok to position in B-mode as long as one is not taking heavy cuts.

Morning Guy's,

I also have a hardinge superslant, It has been retrofitted with PC based and Delta Tau Controller, I am just learning to program it and make parts. I am also looking for any parts that may be out there. Drop me a note if anyone has anything,

Thx
Jim

http://www.hardingeservice.com/usr/SB/PLA-0009500-0033.pdf

Parts list ^^^ don't know if this is of any help to you or how long HARDINGE keeps parts around for your machine(s). ?

Back