What's new
What's new

Hardinge VMC1000II Tool Changer adjustment

cr250dave

Plastic
I am having a couple issues with my umbrella style tool changer.

The umbrella is not extending far enough to align with the spindle. The tools are just barely being held by the tool holders. There is a mechanical adjustment on the tool changer slide but I don't know how to force the tool changer to extend to give me access to the adjustment screws.

Any tips on how I can have the tool change pause with the spindle oriented and lowered so I can make the adjustments?

Does the machine have a tool change recovery procedure? You should be able to piece it together from that procedure.

I am having a couple issues with my umbrella style tool changer.

The umbrella is not extending far enough to align with the spindle. The tools are just barely being held by the tool holders. There is a mechanical adjustment on the tool changer slide but I don't know how to force the tool changer to extend to give me access to the adjustment screws.

Any tips on how I can have the tool change pause with the spindle oriented and lowered so I can make the adjustments?

Why not easy stop it in the middle of the tool change? This would give you enought time to make the adjustments. IDK maybe it will not on your machine but it would on my Bridegport VMC.

Does the machine have a tool change recovery procedure? You should be able to piece it together from that procedure.

Here is the tool change macro. I have tried piecing something together referencing it but I am still too green to know what is needed.

:9020(TOOL CHANGE SUB-PROGRAM)
IF[#1014GE1]GOTO10
IF[#1015EQ1]GOTO20
IF[#20EQ0]GOTO30
#1100=1
G91G30Z0M19
M76
#106=BIN[#1032]
IF[#106EQ#20]GOTO40
#101=#4001
#102=#4002
#103=#4003
#104=#4015
G17G91G80G00G63M75
G30Z0.M19
M72
M74
M17
G28Z0.
T#20
M17
G30Z0.
M73
M78
M71
G#101G#102G#103G#104
N40M77
#1100=0
M99
N10#3000=1(MAG. COUNTER D402 NE D407 )
M99
N20#3000=2(AFL/MLK/ZNG SIGNAL ON)
M99
N30#3000=3(TOOL CHANGE FORMATE ERR.)
M99

Just guessing, you would have to orient the spindle first with an M19, and the Z axis needs to be at the correct position.

I have used an M19 but I never did set the Z height.

You likely have to put it in tool change mode. Do you have a list of you mcodes? I have a yang which is almost the same. I have to m86 before arm out. yours could be different.

I listed the change macro above if that helps. It does call for some M codes that aren't even listed in my manual.

Why not easy stop it in the middle of the tool change? This would give you enought time to make the adjustments. IDK maybe it will not on your machine but it would on my Bridegport VMC.

Wish I could. Once the macro starts there seems to be no stopping it with anything other than the E stop.

Mine is almost the same as Yang is a generic hardinge but yours is a few years newer

first you need to
G91G30Z0M19 index spindle and goes to correct height
M76 turns on tool change mode
M72 mag out
M71 mag back in
M77 turns off tool change mode

This is how I read it. Let us know.

Mine is almost the same as Yang is a generic hardinge but yours is a few years newer

first you need to
M72 mag out
M71 mag back in

Sweet. I will try this out on Monday and let you know. Does yours have the same umbrella style changer?

first you need to
M72 mag out
M71 mag back in

This worked perfectly. I was able to jog the umbrella back and forth with M72 and M71 to make the adjustments. It ran out of adjustment before getting perfectly in-line with the spindle but it is much better and the tools are close to being fully seated in the changer.

Thanks for your help!

Back