What's new
What's new

Has anyone heard of Samwoo power chucks?

ManualEd

Stainless
In my search for a newesed 8" power chuck, I came across a Samwoo HAS-08.
It has "Licensed by Kitagawa" machined in the face.

Google doesn't come up with anything for Samwoo except that eBay posting.

Has anyone heard anything about them?

Its the old name for Samchully Iron works out of Korea. SAMCHULLY Machinery
You can see the name change here if you look at 2001. You will need to scroll to 2001. History >> SAMCHULLY Machinery

Lots of Korean machines sport them from new. Doosans, Kia etc. There a long way from rubbish. I'd put then within 10% of Kitagawa.

I've had several customers buy them as replacements for Kit's after a big crash. No one has complained. There about 2/3rds of the price. And delivery has been excellent. Order them on a Thursday afternoon, and they are here (downunder) Monday morning.

Regards Phil.

Its the old name for Samchully Iron works out of Korea. SAMCHULLY Machinery
You can see the name change here if you look at 2001. You will need to scroll to 2001. History >> SAMCHULLY Machinery

Lots of Korean machines sport them from new. Doosans, Kia etc. There a long way from rubbish. I'd put then within 10% of Kitagawa.

I've had several customers buy them as replacements for Kit's after a big crash. No one has complained. There about 2/3rds of the price. And delivery has been excellent. Order them on a Thursday afternoon, and they are here (downunder) Monday morning.

Regards Phil.

Son of a gun.

I looked through the "Now~2010" and "1999~1975" sections on that site last night, but neglected the middle part -_-.

Has the Kitagawa/Samwoo B208/HAS208 design changed at all in the last 20 years?

Has the Kitagawa/Samwoo B208/HAS208 design changed at all in the last 20 years?
I doubt little has changed. Spindle noses were well defined, decades before then. Steel, metrology, heat treat, grinding hasn't advanced that much since the 90's, for something as humble as a power chuck. It has a wedge & master jaws, both hardened and ground. Whilst it got easier. I'm thinking nothing much would have changed.

Mitigating factor has always been how much pull force the rotating rotary cylinder can produce in the arse end, via draw tube, I don't imagine that has changed a lot, so the wedge angle in the chuck remains the same.

Exceptions exist, but they will be the high speed models. Better balance, but the jaw stroke will be less due to the angle in the wedge that drives the jaws. Lower wedge angle for increased centrifugal force.

In my home town, Melbourne Aust. Getting heat treat done would have been easier in the 90's. Seemed there used to be a furnace on every street corner. Now days it high end, vacuum this, plasma that. Want coating with your burger?

I think the "Licenced by Kitagawa" thing was true. So your looking like for like. And they were both working off the same drawings.

Regards Phil.

Back