What's new
What's new

Hass FV-1 question: draw bar of pull studs?

atgordon

Cast Iron
I'm helping a friend who has just acquired an ex-community college Hass FV-1, 1993 vintage, for his shop.

The paperwork shows that it takes CAT-40 taper tooling, It is equipped with a ATC unit, but I am not sure if it uses a drawbar or uses pull studs to secure the tooling.

And since I'm spec'ing the tooling he needs to buy, I was hoping someone with an FV-1 could advise me!

Thanks in advance!

I believe you are looking at a VF-1... not a FV-1. Should make the search a little easier. I have never had one that old, but I have run some of the early VF's. As far as I know, they all ran pull studs, and they have never changed. I would be willing to bet that they are standard Haas profile.

Pull studs for sure. Older Hass, I'm not 100% sure when the change was made, had much lower tool retention. Most 40 tapers were in the 900 to 1000 pound range. At some point they upped it to 1500 to 1800. Again not sure of exactly when.

Rocky Spindle Grinding Service (retired)

I got a early/mid 90’s VF2 with sweet orange monochrome control, groin-grabbingly slow umbrella tool changer, and, yes, pull studs on the 40 taper holders.

I believe you are looking at a VF-1... not a FV-1. Should make the search a little easier. I have never had one that old, but I have run some of the early VF's. As far as I know, they all ran pull studs, and they have never changed. I would be willing to bet that they are standard Haas profile.

Thanks G00 Proto, Milland, Rockyr49, and Nerdlinger,

really appreciate you all getting back to me so quickly. I've ordered a bunch of Hass pull studs to go with the CAT 40 tooling already ordered.

I have downloaded the service manual for the 93 VF-1 (you were right ... got that backasswards!), and it show the Belleville washers and the replacement process. They do have all the manuals for the machine as well. I'll give them a heads up on the problems that might show up once it is running, although the instructor at the college said it was used very lightly for running mostly 6061 and never used with coolant. Hopefully, it didn't have any ATC crashes!

I wouldn't jump right in to replacing the bellevilles. There is a relatively simple device that can measure drawbar force. I would have it checked first.

Back