What's new
What's new

Heidenhain vs. Fidia

1cncmachinist

Plastic
Looking to get a new controll on a 2000 FPT Pragma. Currently has a FIDIA C2 Hard drive has issues and needs replacing. I am a FANAC guy at heart and have only been in the Fidia 8mos. or so. This mill has three heads in a head cabinet, a straight head CAT50, a Universal head (H and J axis), and a high speed articulating head (2.5 degrees) the tool cabinet has been removed to make room on the table (nice design haha). During the retrofit we will be rebuilding the ram it is sloppy by 10 degrees or so. Basically looking for opinions and facts to compare and contrast. Thanks for any input.:cheers:

Since I am a Fidia guy I will give you my bias opinion. I use the C20 control and it is awesome.. Way more features and customization compared to the Heidenhain 530 control on our other 5x machine. All the lookahead options can be custom tailored to the specific job and changed on the fly, very nice blending functions to offset your workpiece as your cutting, 4 separate places to actually view an nc file, yes you can view it in 4 different "programs", on the Heidi. you cannot even look at it once. Also I will probably get flamed for this but the fidia is windows based, so updates and such are much nicer.

5 axis Fidia guy, How is the Tech support and manuals for the Fidia?( I have been unimpressed) How often do you run the Heids? Heid has a TCN620 controll are you farmilliar with that one? The Fidia controll I currently use is the C2 have you any idea of the feature and or capability changes since then (2000)? Do you have guys at your shop that prefer the Heids?
Thanks you are being a great help:)

Also I will probably get flamed for this but the fidia is windows based, so updates and such are much nicer.

You can have HH controls on windows, but HH say they will not cover any damage caused when/if you run windows update....:eek:

Try 'em both, see which one is best

Boris

When I was over in Grand Rapids at Paragon DE taking apart the SNK I bought from them-

I saw a bunch of older machines they had converted to Fidia Controls.

Droop & Rein and Taurus mills had all been converted.

To be honest I know nothing about either of these controls but just what I took in there. So I am assumiung they are pretty happy with the control,

They have alot of info on their site about the machines.

5 axis Fidia guy, How is the Tech support and manuals for the Fidia?( I have been unimpressed) How often do you run the Heids? Heid has a TCN620 controll are you farmilliar with that one? The Fidia controll I currently use is the C2 have you any idea of the feature and or capability changes since then (2000)? Do you have guys at your shop that prefer the Heids?
Thanks you are being a great help:)

The Fidia manuals are questionable, the support is very good, we have a few guys in WI to help out, I don't run the Heids at all, although I am familiar with them, the 5x guy next to me has one and I can see what it is capeable of, what it can and cannot do, so to speak. I don't know the C2 control at all. We just purchaced a Mikron with a Heidi control and he likes it alot so far, however he is not familiar with anything else. I think they are both very good, only Fidia seems to be able to do more.

4 separate places to actually view an nc file, yes you can view it in 4 different "programs", on the Heidi. you cannot even look at it once.

What does this mean? View the code or the graphics or something else?

I think the heidenhain, especially the newer ones, can do most of what the Fidia can do just the Fidia has better simulation graphics and the ability to adjust the toolpath easier based on the simulation. Though I've never run one just had a chance to read the manuals.

The TNC530 is still the top model unless you're doing mill/turn than the TNC640 is.

But of course my choice is Heidenhain

Back