What's new
What's new

Help with a Citizen C16 type 9.Excessive speed deviation alarm on sub spindle.

Pitglc

Aluminum
Hello,
My Citizen C16 type 9 alarmed out with the following last night: SO1: Excessive speed deviation 0023 S2.
Could anyone on here help me out as to what would be causing this? I am guessing that it is a bad motor or encoder. I will be calling in CMA to take a look but in the mean time I was hoping to get an idea of what I am about to be facing with this. If anyone here could help me out on this I would appreciate it!

There are a few things that can cause this on the sub in these machines. Encoder on the motor is a major thing, I like checking the minor things first. If there is a cover over the sub spindle collet cap, make sure there are no chips built up on the cap itself. If ships build up between the cap and the protective cover, it can cause the deviation between the spindles.

Then take the collet cap itself off and make sure there is nothing inside the spindle that could be a cause for the problem. If that is all clear, take out the knock-out assembly (you may need to take the back off the machine) and make sure there are no chips built up inside the housing. With the back of the machine off, and the knock-out sleeve and pin out, take out the four 5mm bolts that keep the bushinig alignment assembly in place. Now you should be able to see all the way through the spindle itself. I have had a real problem with chips building up inside the spindle, causing drag and setting off the alarm you mentioned.

With all of that apart, rotate the spindle by hand, it should turn freely. Now you can reassemble the knock-out assembly, and every time you install the next part, recheck the spindle to make sure it still turns freely.

Just an update. Went through some test's that CMA recommended and came to the conclusion that it was the sub spindle drive unit. Ordered one and replaced it then ran a few pieces to ensure that it worked properly and went home. When I came in this morning and attempted to run the machine I received the same alarm again!! Got on the phone with CMA again and they are sending a guy over this afternoon. I will keep you posted.

From mitsubishi Alarm/parameter manual- 730LUC So1 -0023 S2--Excessive speed error- a difference between the speed command & speed feedback was continuosly exceeding 50 revs/min for longer then the setting time.
It could be encoder but i would think it would be a different alarm#. 0025 position lost--002D Motor side-Bearings
was it cutting when this happened?
does it do it in MDI?
Picking off a part?
if it works OK in MDI -let her rip until alarm comes up again.

TRRINO the answer is yes to all of the above. CMA sent in a technician yesterday and he determined that it was the encoder. It just came in UPS red and he will be here to install it,remove the drive unit that we installed and hopefully have a running machine when I leave early today. Dont get upset and say I am running out I will be here Friday and Saturday trying to catch us up! Any one else working this weekend?

Back