What's new
What's new

HELP!!! does anyone have experience drilling lug patterns on rims??

p3t3y18

Plastic
ok guys so im having a bit of an issue ... i have no problem drilling holes on a blank wheel ... my problem is that the wheels are already painted so what i do i cover the face in a vinyl to prevent scratches.. well thats not the case, im still getting scratches on some wheel finishes ... does anyone have expierence in this line of work that has some tips??? thanks in advance

heres an example of a wheel with the vinyl and my step drill im using

20150310_103224.jpg20150310_103327.jpg20150310_103343.jpg20150310_103429.jpg

Punctuation, grammar and capital's please. Your post was difficult to read.

Try lots of pecking to keep the chips really short.

Jordy

I wonder if instead of vinyl you could use something like thin aluminum or plastic sheet held on with moderate strength (removable) double face tape. I'm guessing that the scratches are from stringy chips slicing through the vinyl as they spin.

Yes I'm getting very stringy chips. I did change program a couple times to avoid stringy chips but even then i still get scratches. The biggest problem is that i need to get wheels drilled in a decent amount of time. I cant have a wheel take me 10-15 min to drill. I drill on an average of 40 wheels a day and if they take too long i will never get to the required average. What I'm running right now is 4500 rpm with a 20 ipm feed and a peck of .015. Wheels come out perfect but my time is waaay to slow i need to speed up my production time to at least 5-7 min per wheel.

I wonder if instead of vinyl you could use something like thin aluminum or plastic sheet held on with moderate strength (removable) double face tape. I'm guessing that the scratches are from stringy chips slicing through the vinyl as they spin.

How thin of aluminum because every wheel has a different shape and some have very concave faces.

20 IPM at 4500 RPM is about .0044"/revolution. I would look at starting there as it looks like you've got a sort of "spade" brazed tip, and I would imagine it could be pushed harder to make heavier chips that would be less likely to wrap around the drill. Can you post a photo of the scratches you're getting? With and without vinyl? What sort of pecking operation, G73, G83? More information is always good ;)

Bring feed up till chips break. Otherwise I'd consider interpolating holes with endmill to break into fine chips. Not as fast as drilling for sure...but less time then trying to wrap wheels. Then unwrap.

You might be better off using two different tools. I don't think that particular combo tool has a very free flowing geometry to get the chips out. Plus it has places where the chips will actually hang up on it, and those are the ones that whirl around.

A proper drill, properly fed, should auger the chips up and break them in short pieces without a need to peck for quite some depth. You're only getting .0044" per revolution, and that's not enough feed, but it might be what the countersinking action requires. Maybe try a heavy feed for drilling, and lighten up for the final pecks of the countersink (two different drill cycles).

20 IPM at 4500 RPM is about .0044"/revolution. I would look at starting there as it looks like you've got a sort of "spade" brazed tip, and I would imagine it could be pushed harder to make heavier chips that would be less likely to wrap around the drill. Can you post a photo of the scratches you're getting? With and without vinyl? What sort of pecking operation, G73, G83? More information is always good ;)

ITS IN MILLIMETERS

%
O5007(607 20x9 +35 5X114.3)
M8
N1G0G90G17G40G54
G43Z80H1
G0X0Y0G90G54
G68X0Y0.R108.5
G16X57.15Y0.
S4500M03
M7
G98G83Z-108R-38P10Q.4F500
G91Y72.K4
G80
G69
G15
G91G28Z0.0
M09
M05
G28Y0
M46
M30
%

heres sample of a program i use

Get a real tool.

The code posted obviously from some software has a bunch of unnecessary code which is confusing, you are rapiding to 3.14 inches above the part, an the R value is -1.5 inches. So what or where is part zero? There are so many lines of code you don't need it is hard to interpret what you are trying to do. Pull the dwell, feed 5x harder (.022 chipload) but get a real tool.

Robert

Another dept where I used to work has a laser engraver, they sometimes used a masking material, it was a 18" wide roll of very heavy masking tape. If you find you still need to mask it, you might look into this material. I have no idea where they got it, but I expect searching laser supplies would find it.

I drill wheels also i interpolate the bore with a sandvick insertable 1" with .125 radius.06 per revolution 75 inches per minute nothing on the wheels I leave no scratches on the wheels and the sides of the lug bores are perfect

Need help finding a custom drill bit.

1250 RPM? :nutter:

Need to find a custom bit for drilling blanks wheels with a carbide tip.

Anyone have any ideas where I can find This?

Had one guy in California build me one.about 2 years ago for inserting wheels but for some reason I can't get him to build me a blank bit he keeps promising to do it but is so unreliable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Back