What's new
What's new

Help looking for a Lathe

jedpettitt100

Plastic
Hi I am looking into buying my first lathe I have been machining for a while now and want to be able to make some parts for my own projects as well as make stuff for work at home. I don't know much about the machines themselves. I can run 240v to my garage so I'm looking for something that can turn 3 inch round and under. I also need it to be as small as possible and price is an issue right now. I don't mind used as long as it is accurate. So you guys probably have a little more experience with different machines. I would love some recommendations.

CNC definitely so I can save the programs. I think 3" capacity. I won't have much need to bar feed right now. Sorry I should have been more specific. Something with a tool turret. Under 20k

He wants cheap and small. It's home hobby stuff, so his best bet is to search for a home machinist forum.

I'm willing to pay around 20k I'd like to keep it under but I want quality and small not "cheap" I made an account here because it's the biggest machinist forum on the internet and figured I would get quality advice on this subject from people who know more than me. I'm looking for something compact, has a auto tool turret 6-10 slots, at least 3" capacity if it's through the spindle that's a plus, with coolant pump. I don't know everything, that's why I'm here to learn and look for quality equipment.

Well, that clarifies things, and yes, once explained it's not home shop stuff. $20k's a decent budget for a used machine, but factor in you're likely to need a good 3ph converter if what you have incoming is 2ph 240V.

You might want to repost, with a title of "Help chose a sub-$20k CNC lathe of [X capacity] for [X use]. That sort of informed thread title gets a lot more attention and help.

Back