What's new
What's new

production dovetail cutting

i_r_machinist

Titanium
Anyone doing production dovetail cutting? We have hss cutters, but I would like to move to an inserted cutter. It needs to be able to fit in a 1" milled slot.
Thanks
i_r_machinist

Don't forget about brazed carbide, I would try roughing some of the material away with a T- slot cutter, they have nice cutters for this, lots of T - slots out there, I would cut as much away with that and go in and finish with a big brazed cutter.
It's kind of a nasty environment for an inserted tool, the angle of attack is 90deg with no helix so you end up with a lot of shock, not good for inserts, clamps and screws.

In another lifetime I cut dovetails for Hughes Tool. Can't remember the the tool but do know it was inserted. Yes, I'll remove as much metal as possible before finishing the dovetail. I just figured that by now, someone had developed the super inserted cutter that lasts forever and makes the machinist's breathe fresher, while removing stains !
have fun
i_r_machinist

Dorian also makes an inserted (t-style) cutter but I'd hardly consider it a good tool for production use.

Depending on the length of the dovetail and the quantities, it may be more economical to sub-out for shaping than milling in-house.

I ended up getting a smaller unused Dorian dovetail model from a shop that was closing. Used it a few times. It works well but the tips on the inserts are touchy to say the least. Try to stay away from the 1 radius unless you absolutely need it. A 2 or larger would be your best bet.
Try to get as much out of the slot as possible and keep the cut depth even between the top angle and bottom of the dovetail. I hope you only have to cut one side at a time and not both.

Back