What's new
What's new

Help a newb with first Gcode program

John.t.little1

Aluminum
Thanks for any help in advance. Machine is a bridgeport interact series 1 with TNC 151B.
I am wanting to make my first program and the more I read the more I forget what I've just read. I'm more of a hands on learner. Having said that I don't know how to start a cycle of code and exactly what some codes do. For instance I've pieces together this for some steel plate I want a bolt pattern in.

S573 M03
G01 X3.346 Y0.000 F240
G73 Z0.25 F24

Now my main question is does the G73 automatically return to zero after the peck drill completes? If not where do I go from here? I'm doing a bolt hole pattern planned to spot drill the holes than tool change and drill completely G81? I can't run these in a simulator Bc the screen went out on my laptop. -John

Well Firts off I higly recomend use the Heidenhain language on that control if you programing at the control and not the gcode. It is very is learn and if you need any help I would be more than happy to help as I use the TNC151 everyday. Now to answer your question it with return to where you started your G73 from. For me thats normally .100 above the part. So I would rapid down in z to +.100 above the part the call my G73 after g73 is complete your drill will return to .100 above the part.
Again I would much recommend the heidi language though it super fast once you get the hang of it and can do much more then you can with the gcode side.
Do you have the manuals for the tnc151?

I'm not familiar with your control, but I'd use a G81 for the spot drilling and G83 for the drilling cycle. If this is plate (thin).

The G73 in your program will go to Z0.25 and then hang there. You need to specify a depth to drill to, which is a -ve Z. The drill will retract to the Z value in the line before the G73 line. Written as:

G00 Z0.25
G90 G73 Z-1.0 F4.5
(DRILL 1" DEEP RETRACT TO 0.250")

Use the conversational if possible.

(***Look at all those feeds w/o decimal points...get Fanuc'd son :D)

Thanks for any help in advance. Machine is a bridgeport interact series 1 with TNC 151B.
I am wanting to make my first program and the more I read the more I forget what I've just read. I'm more of a hands on learner. Having said that I don't know how to start a cycle of code and exactly what some codes do. For instance I've pieces together this for some steel plate I want a bolt pattern in.

S573 M03
G01 X3.346 Y0.000 F240
G73 Z0.25 F24

Now my main question is does the G73 automatically return to zero after the peck drill completes? If not where do I go from here? I'm doing a bolt hole pattern planned to spot drill the holes than tool change and drill completely G81? I can't run these in a simulator Bc the screen went out on my laptop. -John

You need a G98 or G99 as well as an R value for a return plane. G73 is a rapid peck canned cycle, so you also need a peck depth value, usually Q. For a spot, yes, G81 will do you better.

G81 G99 R.1 Z-.06 F7.

Above code based on 3/8" hss spot drill at ~100sfm.

No sir I have manuals but nothing that explains the conversational program. I will try google for the conversational language.

Hi John I know Heidenhain use to have all their old manual on there site for free download but I could not find them just now. Here is a copy of the main manual for your control that should give you a good start. http://igor.chudov.com/manuals/Bridgeport/Series-II-Interact-2/Heidenhain-TNC-151-BQ-Conversational-Programming.pdf There are a few other manuals as well which have many program examples in them too. It sounds like right now you have the Bridgeport manuals is that correct. They only explain the G code programing and not very well at that. LOL
Fyi There G code is not exactly the same as the Fanuc g code.

S573 M03
G01 X3.346 Y0.000 F240
G73 Z0.25 F24

S573 M03
G01 X3.346 Y0.000 F240
G73 Z0.25 F24
first i would use
G20 G40 G49 G80 G94
(INCH MODE, TOOL COMP OFF, DRILL MODE OFF, FEED INCH PER MINUTE)

T1 M6
(TOOL CHANGE)

S573 M3
G90 G17 GO G54 X3.346 Y0.000
(ABSOLUTE MODE, X,Y PLANE, RAPID MODE, G54 WORK COORDINATES)

G43 H1 Z2.0
(TOOL LENGTH COMP ON RAPID TO Z2.0)

G73 G98 Z-0.25 Q0.3 R0.2 F2.0
(G98 UP TO INITIAL Z2.0 DEPTH, Q PECK DISTANCE, R IS RETRACT ABOVE HOLE AT FEED AND HIGHER THAN THIS AT RAPID, FEED ALWAYS HAVE DECIMAL POINT) if you use G99 instead of G98 it will be R0.2 above part zero between holes, make sure moving drill will not hit anything like a clamp in the way

G80 M5
(ALWAYS TURN DRILL MODE OFF WHEN DONE, OTHER WISE ANY X AND OR Y GIVEN IT WILL DRILL ANOTHER HOLE)

Ive tried to find Heidenhains conversational manual or anything like it but haven't had any luck yet. maybe i can figure it out at the shop on Monday. Ill try writing more Gcode today using your guide Tom.

Back