What's new
What's new

Parting off 410 SS

david n

Diamond
This stuff turns and bores fairly nice, but when it comes to cutoff, man does it suck. It's very gummy in the cut and it sticks to the sidewalls of the groove while cutting off. I'm using an .125 wide A2 style insert. It's a kennametal grade KC5025. I went from a SFM from 250 to 450 and feed of .002 to .006 and everything in between with no ideal results. Any suggestions?

It's been a while since I ran 410, but I don't recall having eny real troubles with it?

I don't know what I have used for sure, but if I was to set it up today I would likely throw in Manchester 507-298-33 insert or preferrably the corner radiused version of same if part/setup allows.

This insert will not really try to break the chip - but allow it to doo just what it wants to doo - bend. However it will crimp it smaller in width and let it roll ratt on out of the slot. This style insert also takes a LOT of the heat out of this equasion since it is not trying to break the chip. Just prog in a number of .01 pullbacks to break the chip into mangable lengths.

Manchester = Kennametal. Just ask your guy to cross reference.

--------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Thanks OX. I went back down to 250sfm with a peck groove cycle, dropped the feed to .002, upped my coolant concentration and I've seemed to have gotten that gremlin out of the machine. 100 parts so far this morning and still going strong. I sure wish these parts were still made out of 416.

Back