What's new
What's new

HELP!! Servo Alarm No. 414: X-axis detect error

Hello all.

Just ran into a problem. I am having Servo alarm no. 414 flashing on the screen. It says 'X-axis detect error'. Help needed to fix the issue. I have FANUC O-MC Control. The machine has been manufactured in 1998. Serial nos for servo amplifier module are as follows:

1. Servo amplifier module:
A06B-6079-H206
A06B-6079-H104

2. Spindle amplifier module: A06B-6088-H215#H500

3. Power supply module: A06B-6087-H115

4. Machine manufacturer: Victor Taichung Machines

5. Model name: VCENTER-80

6. Series No.: NT-2207

Please guys. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
This is what I get when the alarm is present: *0720 00010000

So what you have there is Diagnostic #720 bit 4. That means you have a Mill Axis over current alarm, or a Mill axis IPM alarm. When they say I.P.M that means Intelegent Power module. In other words, the servo drive.

Does it have LED's on the servo module? It should be showing a "9" or a "6" to have that alarm.

Regards Phil.

So what you have there is Diagnostic #720 bit 4. That means you have a Mill Axis over current alarm, or a Mill axis IPM alarm. When they say I.P.M that means Intelegent Power module. In other words, the servo drive.

Does it have LED's on the servo module? It should be showing a "9" or a "6" to have that alarm.

Regards Phil.

Thank you for replying machtool.

Yes there is an LED on the module and it shows "8". I have also inserted the image of the modules showing all the LED's.

Photo.jpg

Also, when I disconnected the X axis from the drive and switched on the machine, I did not get the alarm and the z axis and y axis start working. Also the spindle is runs... but reconnecting the X axis generates the alarm..

When you say you disconnected the X axis from the drive, the alarm did not occur, did you disconnect the motor power cable (U,V,W)? If that is what you did then the trouble is a short in the cable or motor. Most often it is coolant that has gotten into the connector on the cable at the motor.

3.2.8 Alarm Codes 8., 9., and A.
(1) Meaning
Inverter: IPM alarm
(2) Cause and troubleshooting
(a) Be sure to push the faceplate (control printed-circuit board)
as far as it will go.
(b) Disconnect the motor power leads from the SVM, and
release the SVM from an emergency stop condition.
<1> If no IPM alarm condition has occurred
→ Go to (b).
<2> If an IPM alarm condition has occurred
→ Replace the SVM.
(c) Disconnect the motor power leads from the SVM, and check
the insulation between PE and the motor power lead U, V, or
W.
<1> If the insulation is deteriorated
→ Go to (c).
<2> If the insulation is normal
→ Replace the SVM.
(d) Disconnect the motor from its power leads, and check
whether the insulation of the motor or power leads is
deteriorated.
<1> If the insulation of the motor is deteriorated
→ Replace the motor.
<2> If the insulation of any power lead is deteriorated

I would suspect cable as cable for X is a moving cable and / or, as has been stated, connector filled up with coolant.

When you say you disconnected the X axis from the drive, the alarm did not occur, did you disconnect the motor power cable (U,V,W)? If that is what you did then the trouble is a short in the cable or motor. Most often it is coolant that has gotten into the connector on the cable at the motor.

Yes, I disconnected the motor power cables. I checked the continuity of the power cables. It was ok. A visual inspection of the insulation of the cables did not show any signs of the coolant entering the cable or connector. Is there anything else that I need to check??

3.2.8 Alarm Codes 8., 9., and A.
(1) Meaning
Inverter: IPM alarm
(2) Cause and troubleshooting
(a) Be sure to push the faceplate (control printed-circuit board)
as far as it will go.
(b) Disconnect the motor power leads from the SVM, and
release the SVM from an emergency stop condition.
<1> If no IPM alarm condition has occurred
→ Go to (b).
<2> If an IPM alarm condition has occurred
→ Replace the SVM.
(c) Disconnect the motor power leads from the SVM, and check
the insulation between PE and the motor power lead U, V, or
W.
<1> If the insulation is deteriorated
→ Go to (c).
<2> If the insulation is normal
→ Replace the SVM.
(d) Disconnect the motor from its power leads, and check
whether the insulation of the motor or power leads is
deteriorated.
<1> If the insulation of the motor is deteriorated
→ Replace the motor.
<2> If the insulation of any power lead is deteriorated

I would suspect cable as cable for X is a moving cable and / or, as has been stated, connector filled up with coolant.

Thank you for your detailed reply. However I checked the cables and the insulation. Nothing seems to be wrong with either of them. The cables show continuity between them. So I dont think there is a problem with the cables. Yes coolant does enter and fills up beneath the x axis but I have been frequently cleaning it and draining the coolant out. So there is no possibility of the coolant entering the connector or the motor. Is there anything else that I need to check? I have posted the same query to vancbiker above.

Did you try and power the drives up, while you had the motor cables removed? It the alarm went away, that would indicate a fault with the motor or cabling. If it stayed on the drive, that would indicate a fault with the drive. (On edit). I see you covered that. The alarm went away.

You have the same family of drives there, just different current ratings. You can use those to fault find, just don't moves the axis much on the smaller drive.

If you swap both the motor cables, and the encoder cables, from one drive to the other, and see if the fault moves to the other drive, or stays on the one that is alarming now. I'm pretty sure that the fault stays with that X axis cable. I know you said you metered them. Have you opened the plugs up to inspect and clean them.. I have the red cap off and the 4 screws on the motor socket plug, just to make sure there's no coolant any where.

Regards Phil.

Did you try and power the drives up, while you had the motor cables removed? It the alarm went away, that would indicate a fault with the motor or cabling. If it stayed on the drive, that would indicate a fault with the drive. (On edit). I see you covered that. The alarm went away.

You have the same family of drives there, just different current ratings. You can use those to fault find, just don't moves the axis much on the smaller drive.

If you swap both the motor cables, and the encoder cables, from one drive to the other, and see if the fault moves to the other drive, or stays on the one that is alarming now. I'm pretty sure that the fault stays with that X axis cable. I know you said you metered them. Have you opened the plugs up to inspect and clean them.. I have the red cap off and the 4 screws on the motor socket plug, just to make sure there's no coolant any where.

Regards Phil.

Disconnecting the motor power cables (U, V, W) does away with the alarm. Swapping the cables causes the alarm to flash again. I connected the motor power cables of y axis in the x axis connections and found the alarm flashing on the screen. What could this mean? Is the drive faulty or is there something else?

I connected the motor power cables of y axis in the x axis connections and found the alarm flashing on the screen. What could this mean? Is the drive faulty or is there something else?

That won't work unless you connect the Y encoder cable to the X servo drive too.

You need to check each motor power lead to ground using a megohmmeter. This must be done with the motor power leads disconnected from the drive. Leave the cable connected to the motor. This will test both motor and cable at the same time. Using a regular multimeter will not show insulation failure. A continuity test is not sufficient for this case.

That won't work unless you connect the Y encoder cable to the X servo drive too.

You need to check each motor power lead to ground using a megohmmeter. This must be done with the motor power leads disconnected from the drive. Leave the cable connected to the motor. This will test both motor and cable at the same time. Using a regular multimeter will not show insulation failure. A continuity test is not sufficient for this case.

I tried to solve the problem by changing the cable. I soldered its ends to the female connector. Then connected the cable to the drive and the motor. Still the alarm flashes. Then I disconnected the motor by removing the connector while keeping the cable connected to the drive. Still the alarm flashes.

Found the problem. Coolant had entered the motor. Dismantled it and found coolant dripping through the connector. Have left it to dry. Should I apply varnish to the coils for better insulation?

Back