What's new
What's new

1980 Okuma LC10-1ST - Hyd Oil Leaks

Wade C

Stainless
Sealing the Deal

Since I got the machine, it has had a little bit of a Hyd Oil leak... not horrible - Maybe a gallon over a year of intermittent use. Last Dec I noticed it was a little more than that. Then starting in May, its gotten even worse. As of the fill up of the hyd reservoir on saturday evening, and about 16 hours of run time, its pumped about 2 gallons into the coolant tank - from dripping off the Z axis turret carriage way cover.

I managed to forget my manual at home, so I havent looked through the diagrams yet, but I thought Id post up here to see if anyone has been in these and can offer suggestions of places to start or suggestions for "replace this while your in there - you wont regret it".

The way its leaking and where (about 3" in front of the turret - dripping out from under the way cover, then down the slide onto the casting and then into the chip pan) - I just get the feeling "hose" - maybe a pinhole leak in the hose or a fitting lossened? Of course, not knowing what all is under there, it could be seals from the turret and just happens to flow back to the way cover and come out there... So Ill be digging into that.

Also, the Hyd Chuck closer has a little bit of a leak and the turret has a leak on its main shaft... not horrible, but tempting to replace those seals too. Is that a huge undertaking? Id guess the turret could be a huge undertaking... or not. The closer seems like it would be pretty straight forward.

So there is my upcoming "projects" - and Ill be pouring through the manual, but I dont remember really good schematic breakdowns on the assemblies - so Im a bit worried that I wont find any diagrams that will help and be at the mecry of my own intuition as I pull pieces off.

Thoughts, opinions, explinations, etc... all welcome and appreciated.

Wade

Found the leak...

Its coming out from along the shaft that the turret itself rotates on.
I dont have a schematic of it in the book, only limited pictures of "how it operates" but that more, "this thingy turns and locks" Not very helpful.

The oil is coming out from the castle nut that appears to hold the assembly into the turret from the back side. I dont have pics at the moment.

I cant tell if the shaft that rotates is just a shaft, or if its a shaft and a hyd cyl as one - (so the pressure pushes the turret out from the locating pin, then rotates, then comes back onto the pin.)

The oil is coming out of the shaft at the present, with the keyway in the up location, along that keyway, so there is obviously some seal somewhere that is leaking, but how many, hwo deep, and how to get to them are huge questions at the moment. Its leaking at the rate of about 2.5 gallons in 20 hours of run time.

Does anyone have schematics, drawings, or familiarity with the LC 10 turret to know what is in there? I kind of want to know before I go tearing apart things and ordering parts...

Thanks
Wade

Planning on it before I ever pull it apart.
I only took covers off so I could see... Im working on finding a schematic or parts list so I can see what the parts are, so I can see what it likely is, and then check availability...

The way my life works, I have learned plan a head until you cant plan any further, then plan some more, because something unplanned WILL happen. :D

Wade

Yeah - Id guess thats the proper terminology...

RIght now I have a parts diagram from a LC10 with the 5000 control, but the turret is different. Uses cams and limit switches (best I can tell) for turret position - where as the LC10 with the 3000 control (which is what I have) looks to have a rotary switch or encoder like setup for turret position.

Im sure I can handle the mechanical side of disassembly - replace seals - reassemble... but without the drawing of the 3000 setup, Im nervous about what stuff where plays the roll in keeping track of location. So its still a research project for me. Im hoping someone has some experience on it.

I need to get some pics taken so if someone wants to look at it, I can show it to them.

THanks
Wade

Got a parts diagram - ordered seals for the whole turret....
Cost me 115.00 for all the seals - though really its probably 20.00 worth of parts... but hey, what the hell, I was planning on 400-500 worth... so 115 was a pleasant surprise. :D

Took 6 hours to dismantle - clean - reassemble and test...

All is well!

So now, I have, if it helps anyone... a PDF of the parts breakdown for the turret on the LC10 with OSP3000 control (5000 is different) and the knowledge to get the job done... so if anyone needs a hand... I can help.

Wade

Got a parts diagram - ordered seals for the whole turret....
Cost me 115.00 for all the seals - though really its probably 20.00 worth of parts... but hey, what the hell, I was planning on 400-500 worth... so 115 was a pleasant surprise. :D

Took 6 hours to dismantle - clean - reassemble and test...

All is well!

So now, I have, if it helps anyone... a PDF of the parts breakdown for the turret on the LC10 with OSP3000 control (5000 is different) and the knowledge to get the job done... so if anyone needs a hand... I can help.

Wade

Thanks for keeping us all in mind for future help.

Jeff

Back