What's new
What's new

Houston area VMC dealer and support

M.B. Naegle

Diamond
We're in the market to replace one of our old VMC's and I'm interested to hear the opinions of some other Houston/Southeast Texas shops regarding what brands, and probably more importantly, what dealers and service centers have done them right.

We are a shop dedicated to our own product line and our work typically falls into small batch production, custom/1-off jobs, and repair work. Its a lot of smaller stuff (not oilfield). We are most familiar with Fanuc control and would like to stick with it.

The machine we are replacing is a 1996 Bridgeport Torq-Cut 22 with DX-32 control, CAT 40 spindle, 12" by 36" table travel (approx.), and very basic amenities.

We are looking for a similar machine in the scope of it's size and capacity, but with better support, Fanuc control, better quality of build, and as many extra's as budget allows. 4th axis and larger capacity is not needed as we already have another larger machine (with a 4th axis) that rarely see's it's full table used. Even from the perspective of filling a bigger table with workstations, we have such a high job turnover that we would still be changing stations out between jobs. We'd rather use our floor space for 2 small mills than one big one. Two things that I could see helpful are chip conveyor's and augers, and part/tool probing. I don't see us utilizing pallet changers that much.

I've been researching every brand of machining center I can find over the last year or so and now I'm trying to find out which one's are supported locally, and which one's will be the best value. I should also add we would like to find a brand/dealer to stick with in future machine upgrades. Hardinge/Bridgeport was our last go-to company for machinery, but our last VMC we bought in 2006 kinda burned us in regards to the overall quality of the machine and how the dealer handled the sale (I think it was Regal, who's gone now anyway). So I want to be sure we find a good company to work with. Our next purchase will likely be a new turning center and I see value to getting into drilling/tapping centers, but not right now.

Used machines are entirely on our mind, but we'd like to stick with nothing older than 10 years and we would still need local support.

Our Budget is $30,000 to $80,000. I think that rules out Mori and Mazak (both local).

The 3 company's we've contacted so far are as follows

Haas
Champion Machine Tool - looking at a VF-2. I have mixed feelings about Haas as I think they are the best machine you can get... in the cheap market. Support seems excellent, with a few horror stories every now and then. The control is of course Haas and not Fanuc, but people seem to like it. I think in terms of quality they would actually be an exact replacement of the Torq-Cut, but you get what you pay for and I would like to get something better if we could....

Doosan
Ellison Tecnologies - looking at a DM400. Everything I've seen about Doosan makes them seem like they are just as good as Mazak or DMG, but they don't seem to have the same reputation either. That said the DM400 would fit our needs (minus the machine being lubed with grease. I hate that) and Ellison seems to have great service.

Amera-Seiki
Amera-Seiki Houston - Seem like a well built machine but can't find much as far as their track record in service or how well built they are (other than what they have told me of course). ??? Who has worked with them?

Who am I missing?

Our Budget is $30,000 to $80,000. I think that rules out Mori and Mazak (both local).

You are not getting anything new for that...

Why does one of your guys hate okuma?

Hartwig has great service, I have had a good experience with them on parts and service.
Champions has in the past had alot of idiots working as techs. I was told they fixed that, and the latest install tech we had out was great. the people further up the food chain are decent. parts is mixed.

You are not getting anything new for that...

Why does one of your guys hate okuma?

Hartwig has great service, I have had a good experience with them on parts and service.
Champions has in the past had alot of idiots working as techs. I was told they fixed that, and the latest install tech we had out was great. the people further up the food chain are decent. parts is mixed.

I think he see's them as being new to the US and pron to problems for some reason. He's a particular guy (would fit in well here on PM) so we tend to have "creative" arguments.;)

My brother got his hands on a new Okuma at a customers shop and was impressed by it. I'm gonna give them a call.

In regards to the Fanuc thing:

For us it has been a functional and capable control. It may not be the best control, but It's well known in the industry and seems to be the most common across machine tool manufacturers.
We want to get more consistency in our shop and I hesitate on some of these companies that have their own proprietary control. Having to change thought process's when going from one machine to the next can be a pain. For example one of our machines measures tool diameter by the actual diameter, while another by the radius.

All in all, if a different control is easier to navigate and input values, I'd consider it, but my default's Fanuc.

I should also add that 99% of our programming is going out of Mastercam with Solidworks supplying the models. Conversational controls would be nice, but we still need 100% compatibility with the software. We have a Prototrak lathe that is only conversational (bought before we got into CAD/CAM). So any fancy turned parts we need to make with it involve lots of time wearing out the buttons on that control... It's next in line to be upgraded.

I feel your pain, regarding not wanting to have too many controls in your shop. It IS problematic for me. It is hard to memorize each and every control's idiosyncrasies. Sheesh! not 5 minutes ago, I posted out a program for my Hurco mill, using G97 subroutines. Doh! Hurco does not USE local subroutines, only subprograms. (G98) I would LOVE to standardize on future machine purchases, unfortunately, that only leaves me with Hurco, Haas, or Okuma. I cannot say which control it will be, only that I really don't want to deal with another one. Best of luck with your choice. Doug.

Last edited:
I had a good experience with both Hartwig and Yamazen the last couple years.

We are a long distance from their service points but overall better experience than with Haas.

Love my BrotherS700 and the OkumaM560 Both excellent build quality, great parts out of the crate and good install and sales experience. If you have any questions shoot me an email and we can talk.

hey say the m560's can tap 1.25-7,,,, I'd be looking there
It probably can run that tap, but why do that, thread milling is probably nearly as fast, and cheaper.

I have no idea on the used market, but i think 80k would still be tough for a used one thats not a pile of crap.

Got a quote from Hillary Machinery/Hyundai Wia. It looks like a good machine. The company is out of Korea (not sure if that is the actual machines point of origin however) Probably not up there with the Higher end guys but they have a lot of good features for the price.

Looking at an F400:
120000 rpm spindle
24 pocket vertical ATC
Cat40 spindle
15HP (10 continuous) Direct drive spindle
7 second tool change (cut to cut)
Same pull studs as our Hardinge (minor detail but a plus anyway)
Chip conveyor
1260 IPM rapids
spindle chiller
290 psi thru spindle coolant
Fanuc OiD control
linear ball ways
2 year parts warranty

All for about the price of a well optioned Haas. So the question now is how good are they in service and quality? I'm going to set up a time to go visit one of their customers. Anyone on here have any input?

It all depends on your work what you will be happy with. If you do fairly simple 2.5 ax stuff, a lot of drilling, keyways, stuff with only one axis moving much of the advantages of the super duper high speed controls is nullified. Thru spindle coolant- after using it if you are willing to tool up the drills you can take a hole from 7 minutes to 7 seconds.... well worth the investment especially if you drill a LOT of one sized hole. the advantage to fanuc is most out there know something about them ( and its either love or hate). on the rapids- I would anchor it to the floor- not sure what your table load is but moving that fast it can skid itself all over if not tied down.

Most of our stuff lately has been flat work in mild steel, A2, and aluminum, which would fit in a 12" square area. We also do a lot with ductile steel castings, but have been redesigning a lot of those parts to be made out of bar stock instead (mostly due to quantities needed). Brass comes into the mix occasionally too. Nothing really exotic or hard and we don't see very many heavy heavy cuts. Our Hardinge VMC1000p3 has kept up well with our needs in terms of performance and accuracy. So that's our baseline.

I'd like to post some examples of our parts but I'm still figuring out how to use the mobile site. Apparently we can't open the standard forums on a mobile device anymore?:skep:

Another one to throw in the mix:

Milltronics, also from Hillary machinery

Anything to watch out for with these? They seem to focus more on tool-room capacity. From what I understand they are another one that's built in the states from Taiwan iron. Their conversational control seems simple to use, and I think I've seen a few fitted with Fanuc (?). So how would they compare alongside a Haas or a high-end machine?

Back