What's new
What's new

How to check machine hours on 1995 year Yasnac I80 control ?

If it's like the MX3, you hit the "alarm" button and then page down a few times. The counters are all there.

As an aside, whatever happened with Yasnac controls ? I don't recall any modern LCD color screen Yasnacs for example.

They do not make new control.
Dont forget if that control was reinitialized at any time of life of your machine the counters were reset to 0.

They do not make new control.
Dont forget if that control was reinitialized at any time of life of your machine the counters were reset to 0.

Could be. I know nada about this item.

I DO know it is neither expensive nor much extra Engineering to protect and preserve such data
if the OEM wishes to preserve it. In "silicon".

There are means even more "independent", yet.

Closer to 1975 than 95, there were (at least) two families of on PCB time indicators already established in general electronics industry use as well.

One was a DIP format gadget with a magnetic slider gradually moved by electrolysis. Field tech was expected to "reset" that after routine service with the swipe of a tiny magnet.

The other was more tamper-resistant. Also no larger than one more IC or DIP relay. Mercury in a very thin glass vial was slowly electroplated from one side of a gap to the other. The gap's position could be read relative to a tiny scale alongside it.

Here's one - easier to read, but physically many times as large as our PCB mounts;

Unusual usage (hours) counter with mercury capillary - YouTube

Surely more clever things have come and gone since. Some have whole diagnostic menus in them, but I have NO idea if any CNC control maker ever bothered to use any of them.

The gear I was working with at the time often used BOTH, but it didn't point any "cutting tools" much less costly than satellite-borne sensors or a warhead much under about 20 Kilotons yield. Larger budgets than CNC ? One surely HOPES they had!

Yaskawa stopped making CNCs in the early 2000s. I80 and J series were the last "mainstream" models. There was a PCNC announced around then, but never saw one on a machine. Somewhere along the way they tried to hop in bed with Siemens on some kind of joint venture with a hybrid version of the 840D, but again, never saw one on a machine.

Yaskawa is still one of the largest manufacturers of servos, drives, motors, robots etc in the world. They stopped making CNC controls in the early 2000s, but they still make industrial robot controls.

Motoman is the robotics brand name. Huge in the automotive industry.

They also make motors and controls under the Magnetek name.

Yaskawa is still one of the largest manufacturers of servos, drives, motors, robots etc in the world. They stopped making CNC controls in the early 2000s, but they still make industrial robot controls.

Motoman is the robotics brand name. Huge in the automotive industry.

They also make motors and controls under the Magnetek name.

At various times, Yaskawa has been the hardware under a helluva lot MORE labels as well.

It is kinda food for jokes when someone sez they don't want to risk buying an "off brand" Yaskawa VFD, and would rather buy a name "more familiar".. if only.. because of the bitching and moaning about that "familiar' name all over the 'net has embedded it more deeply in the wetware memory!

Meanwhile.. Yaskawa stuff that JFW goes largely unremarked.
They probably prefer it that way, and actively worked to make it so.

The "wrong" customers can bleed a company dry.

:)

I've seen some drives labeled "saftronics" that are made by Yaskawa. But, they seem to also relabel other drives too.

I assume they just figured the CNC market was crowded enough. Their controls are pretty much the same as Fanuc and Mits from the same time period, so hard to really stand out. In fact, Mori Seiki used all three interchangeably for decades.

With my 2001 J300 I think it is under Comn then soft key to hours or time, key is to the right side, not many to choose from. It is off right now and it isn't something I do very often. J300 is an i80 with certain options. I think Yaskawa stopped selling controls in 2004, they still answer questions about them though.

Back