What's new
What's new

How do you touch off a facemill in a 3 axis lathe

Cookiemonster

Plastic
Hey peeps I have a question, how would you set your offsetts for a face mill in a 3 axis lathe. The machine in question is a Doosan Puma 2100SY.

Touch off the arbor and add (subtract for Z-) half the the arbor diameter to get the Z offset. X is simple - touch off the insert(s).

ASS-U-MING you mean 3 axis as in XZC, and that you have no tool setter. You would touch it off the same on Z as you would on a 3 axis mill, and for X lock the C axis at zero take a cut with the facemill, jog it off the part on the Z axis, rotate the C axis 180 degrees don't move the facemill on the X axis take another cut at that location, jog it off again measure across the 2 cuts and input values.

Robert

Yes, sorry, four axis. We got a new doosan not very many of us understand it. I saw my dayshift foreman showing two guys how to use the presetter. I asked him how he would pick off the facemill, he told us, but I didnt quite understand him as his explanation was quick.

Are you mounting it as a radial or axial tool? I don't really follow the question, unless you're trying to nit-pick the Y on a radially mounted tool...but I just leave it at Y0. Now, axial tools, I pick up a X, Y, Z offset.

Dude, don't take this the wrong way, but; my recommendation based on what you have posted so far is to stay away from that machine until you have had some real training. :willy_nilly: That is a lot of machine to just be fucking around with and when they crash, it usually isn't nice and bumpy and you move on. It's usually rough and ugly and realigning turrets and spindles :fight: So just saying get at least a little real training from your foreman before jumping into that world.

My ±2
Robert

Rob, I understand your concern, and I am fully aware of my knowledge and experience. That's why I asked this question 🙋. Im not operating this machine yet. Only one person runs her and he doesnt quite fully understand it's capabilities yet. Im just trying to learn anyway I can.

Back