What's new
What's new

Shrink fit HSK63F with holes in taper?

wes_mcgee

Plastic
I have seen a lot of HSK63F toolholders over the years, and I have never seen one with holes drilled in the tapered portion. I can only guess this was for balancing or something. I just opened a brand new one and there they were, so figured I would ask before I stick it in the spindle. Anyone know if this is OK?

I'm no expert on HSK holders but I think you should be fine. Had a look at the Techniks website and their holders have a small hole in the taper area. Even regular Cat 40/50 holders have slots in their side when they are used with large taper shank drills in order to get a drift in there. The only difference between HSK and Cat holders that I've heard of is HSK holders will deform slightly in the spindle to provide a more rigid connection. How a hole will affect that I'm not sure but I'm sure the deformation is so small it's probably not a concern.

I just looked at HSK holders in my Walter Tools "General Catalog 2007" (which is still the current one) and the HSK tools in there have the holes. So apparently it's been done for a while now. I figure it's fine because if the holders didn't meet the spec for HSK, they wouldn't be allowed to sell them.

I do believe the hole is part of the ISO or DIN standards. I couldn't tell you why but I could ask our design engineer. My guess is balance by design. I have few other ideas in my head as to why it would be there but won't post them as to sound stupid...

Husker

The hole is to insert a hex key to manually clamp/unclamp the tool in the spindle. (for spindles that do not have an automatic toolchanger or spindles that have an HSK adapter nose...typically specialized equipment.

Guhring makes an HSK spindle adapter nose that I've used in the past...it needs the hole in the taper to access the clamping "bolt."

Back