What's new
What's new

How to set Tool position on a turret after a parameter loss Fanuc OT?

Kris P

Hot Rolled
Hey all, I let the batteries die on my lathe that runs a Fanuc OT-C with a Sauter turret. I got the parameters reloaded through the RS-232 port and the machine now goes home fine but I don't have any tool positions. I get a tool position error. I can see on the diagnostic page that when I index manually using the index button on the control that the position it stops on matches the correct data bits that I wrote down when I had the turret rebuilt. It's an absolute encoder. Somehow I need to tell it what tool it's on. I can't run the spindle or run a program. On the mdi page it doesn't show any tool position active. Any ideas would be great as I need to get this machine listed for sale and it's fine beyond this problem. Thanks

How the control recognizes turret positions is determined by the machine builder, not Fanuc nor the turret device manufacturer. Post the manufacturer and model of machine so someone with a similar machine can give you the info.

Last edited:
That stinks that is builder dependent. The machine is an SMG TC-15. It's a Mazak clone that was built in Asia and sold by the Abene group in Europe. Total oddball, and no support now.

I did not have the diagnostic backed up. Just parameters.

That stinks that is builder dependent.

It doesn't stink, it just the way it has to be. Fanuc just makes the control hardware and software to control axis motion and I/O hardware. They don't deal with what each builder wants to do as far as how the auxiliary devices are built, controlled, sensed, etc. Fanuc just provides a tool (PMC) for the machine builder to write software (ladder program) to control whatever equipment the machine is equipped with.

No documentation came with the machine? If you have a hardcopy of the ladder diagram, a good tech could probably figure out the diagnostic addresses relating to turret control in a day or so.

You might want to make a new thread with the machine info in the title. Might catch someones eye that has a similar machine.

Resetting home on an absolute axis is easy. Resetting the tool changer is not. I've seen all kinds of convoluted procedures. It almost always involves getting the turret in correct position and changing a few parameters and then cycling the control power. But, those parameters are often buried in sub menus. Without the MTB procedure, it's a tough row to hoe.

Back