What's new
What's new

Project I Recently Completed

2kjettaguy

Cast Iron
Mediocre_Final4.jpg

Mediocre_Final_Keys1.jpg

These are keychains that I just designed and cut for a friend's company. The company is called "Mediocre Industries" but they are better known for their internet radio show.

The parts were cut from 6061 1/2" thick. The final thickness is .300". I built a set of custom aluminum vise jaws to hold 2 parts upside down in a 6" vise. I used a 2.5" face mill to surface, a 1/4" 3FL TICN carbide endmill to rough and finish, a 1/16" carbide ball mill to engrave, and a 2 flute 1/16" carbide round over bit to finish the edges.

I spun every tool but the face mill at 7500 rpms, but could have sped it up to 10k rpms to go faster. The machine is a Sharp 2412S. It took roughly 8 minutes to machine the front and 3 minutes to finish the back.

Has anyone else been working on anything cool? I just saw the knife thread. We should post up more projects in here and less problems

Evan

I would be scared to own such a trinket. I could just imagine a midget stealing my carkeys...take that thing off the ring, and then proceed to punch me in the balls!

I gotta go find my meds....

Racer Al - I tested the bottle opener portion on some Yuengling until I got it right. Took about 6 designs until I got it perfect. The guys who will be using these will be able to thoroughly and heavily test them on a variety of beers

(I actually don't drink... gave it up around 19...)

Evan

That's the tabletops in my shop. It's just the formica laminate they sell at Home Depot. I have 4 4x8 workbenches covered in it. It holds up really well and cleans up with windex or simple green.

Back