What's new
What's new

HSK-A32-T to Capto C3 adapter toolholder

TKassoc

Hot Rolled
I have an inquiry into the factory about such a beast but I figured someone here might know where to get this sort of oddball adapter made. There are basically 6 HSK-A32 turning holders on the market right now. If I can adapt the HSK-A32 spindle to to a female Capto C3 the options are much more reasonable. Anyone know where to get something like this made?

RIght now there is shit load of places making Capto, I would try every one that makes CAT / HSK holders like SECO WALTER BigKaiser even Techniks and ToolFlo
What machine are you working on?

I had the same problem when we were tooling up a DMG CTX Gamma. We went with Kennametals HSK63-T turn tools. Big Kaiser has some good options along with EWS tooling for your HSK spindle.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

The available tool selection really falls down for threading, parting and grooving tools. Keep in mind we're talking about tiny stuff with a 32mm OD on the holder and a 65mm gauge length from the spindle face.

PH Horn Supermini seems to have a reasonable selection of tools down at the tiny C3 size. http://www.hornusa.com/fileadmin/us...STECH100US_11.2011_ChapterM_Theme-Modular.pdf
The other option looks like making an adapter to KM Mini KM™ Mini Cutting Units

So for anyone who has tried both are the tiny KM Mini and Micro roughly equivalent to C3 or is there something that is going to back me into a corner later?

Maybe would be a good idea to ask them if they would pop a C3 spindle in it for you. So much more selection in tooling from Sandvik.

Sorry didnt know it goes upto 40K RPM, you can always buy HSK blanks and make some turning holders yourself.

38S2

Haven't found any -T blanks for HSK-A32. If it's going to be a custom order I might as well have them harden and grind a C3 interface while they're at it.

I'm only talking about an adapter toolholder. The machine comes with a HSK-A32 spindle only. The only options available are 40K or 60K RPM. I'm just trying to open up my options on turning tools beyond the 6 that Utilis offers...I need at least one holder that can handle a Horn face grooving tool for dovetail o-ring work.

Ah - sorry I misunderstood.

I've been to the Willemin-Macodel web page before, looks like a great line of high level machinery. If you get a chance, please post some video of yours in action.

Some people have had issues when using the Capto design as a spindle interface:

http://integrexmachinist.com/forums/index.php?action=vthread&forum=1&topic=128&page=0

May be fine for modular tooling, but as a spindle solution I'd use HSK over it.

Here in the European market, capto seems to be pretty much the default for mill turn spindles from all MTB's. Even on much older machines on the used market I'd say that capto outnumbers HSK probably 3 to 1, and there's the occasional unicorn with a KM spindle.

I'd say it's well proven.

I see what you mean. So far only see bigger sizes like HSK 63 and nothing for HSK 32 size.

Back