What's new
What's new

Question, calculating Taper angle from slope?

PANTERA79

Aluminum
I have not done this in years, and I can't remember my HS-school math as well as I should. Guess I'm used to better cad files and prints these days.. Anyhow, I'm making some large dowel pins. The taper spec on the print calls for 1:12 slope on diameter. Major diameter is 5.832, and length of cut is 5.88. Can't remember the formula for fiquring the minor diameter or taper angle? Any passing grade High School Math guys? Please chime in! Thanks!

To get from taper on diameter to half-angle, take the arctangent (inv tan on a calculator) of the half the taper ratio. To get the included angle, double the half-angle.

Getting the minor diameter in your situation is even easier. You have the major. Your cut is 5.88 long. The taper is 1:12 on diameter, meaning the minor is 5.88/12 less than the major.

I have not done this in years, and I can't remember my HS-school math as well as I should. Guess I'm used to better cad files and prints these days.. Anyhow, I'm making some large dowel pins. The taper spec on the print calls for 1:12 slope on diameter. Major diameter is 5.832, and length of cut is 5.88. Can't remember the formula for fiquring the minor diameter or taper angle? Any passing grade High School Math guys? Please chime in! Thanks!

To get the amount of taper, you merely divide the length over which the taper is required, by 12. For example:
5.88/12=0.49
0.5/12=0.041667
and so on.

The minor diameter will be 5.832-0.49=5.342. The units being used is irrelevant; 5.88 inches, 5.88mm or 5.88 cubits, it doesn't matter.

Regards,

Bill

Back