What's new
What's new

Hsm rules!!!

jamesu229

Hot Rolled
This is why I love hsm techniques. We had 10 blocks to square up, about .350 extra on sides and .100 on the ends. Only .075 extra on the depth, so holding by .065, we made a 2.375 deep cut at 72 ipm. The radial doc was .04. This kept me from having to roll it, roll it..............
Set up another mill while it was running.

It works because of an extremly sharp endmill. We used a resharpened garr 630 series with 3.0 loc. The factory edge would not tolerate this kind of cut, it would chatter itself to death. The speeds and fees were low because of the lack of holding area, this would normally be a 180 to 200 ipm cut. The material was A36.

Nice! We use it but only 1"-1.25" deep on 7075 aluminum with 3/4 skit cut HSS end mills so we are pooching it. Those are super impressive number for that length of tool and material. Did you guys sharpen you endmill? Why would the factory sharpness not be enough? Its not like they knock the end down with a stone or something.

Nice! We use it but only 1"-1.25" deep on 7075 aluminum with 3/4 skit cut HSS end mills so we are pooching it. Those are super impressive number for that length of tool and material. Did you guys sharpen you endmill? Why would the factory sharpness not be enough? Its not like they knock the end down with a stone or something.

I sharpened the endmill, my own grind that took several years to fully perfect. The more expensive endmills are capable of this, but $300 vs $50 is an easy choice. We have ran them uncoated in aluminum, but usually run out of power or feed rate. Heres a pic from fridays fun. since we were already set up, had a similar 17-4 job to do . same parameters, only 1.5 deep.

Attachments

• IMG_0038.jpg
    IMG_0038.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 778
Last edited:
I managed to get a short video on the deep cuts. I apologize for the lighting, must be the camera. I had plenty of light in the machine.

High speed machining(again) - YouTube

What CAM package are you using? Just want to be sure to avoid ever using it :) Nice cut - but jeez... 75% or more of the time is wasted moving around in the air. (this is not a criticism of you at all - it's crazy that in 2012 we don't have CAM packages that can do a lot better than this!)

What CAM package are you using? Just want to be sure to avoid ever using it :) Nice cut - but jeez... 75% or more of the time is wasted moving around in the air. (this is not a criticism of you at all - it's crazy that in 2012 we don't have CAM packages that can do a lot better than this!)

Surfcam, and I agree with you completely. Maybe one day the software will be able to actually analyze the part and select the path that has no wasted moves. Sadly, If I had the time I could code this at the machine so much better. I know surfcam can do better, but I program, QC, setup, and provide tech support for tooling use. Doesn't leave time for optimization. I do however program for consistency. My setups run unattended, Usually 1 operator for 3 or 4 machines.

Not sure I am getting it...why is this better then a slow ZigZag with incremental Z Cut?

Deep axial cuts utilize the full length of the endmill, not just wearing out the end of the cutter. With controlled angle of engagement radially, cutter life is greatly extended. Also, for hard or difficult to cut materials, the type of cut you are talking about usually ends up breaking the endmill. Cutter wear with light radial cuts generally just makes red hot chips, or escessive noise.

What was the condition of the tool after that shower of sparks at the break-through?

Is there a taper on the walls?

The tool still looks and cuts great after 24 parts. That small amount of sparks is no problem. The walls were tapered about .001 per side, but I ran a finish endmill with a .03R afterwards to meet print callout. These endmills can handle up to 60 Rc in roughing situations with no problem.

This is why I love hsm techniques. We had 10 blocks to square up, about .350 extra on sides and .100 on the ends. Only .075 extra on the depth, so holding by .065, we made a 2.375 deep cut at 72 ipm. The radial doc was .04. This kept me from having to roll it, roll it..............
Set up another mill while it was running.

For whatever reason - your link just wasn't werking... :confused:

Fixed it for you. :D

------------------

I am Ox and I approve this h'yah post!

Back