Hsm rules!!!
Largest Manufacturing Technology
Community On The Web
Close
Login to Your Account

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: Hsm rules!!!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Grant Alabama USA
    Posts
    568
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    162
    Likes (Received)
    203

    Default Hsm rules!!!

    This is why I love hsm techniques. We had 10 blocks to square up, about .350 extra on sides and .100 on the ends. Only .075 extra on the depth, so holding by .065, we made a 2.375 deep cut at 72 ipm. The radial doc was .04. This kept me from having to roll it, roll it..............
    Set up another mill while it was running.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Grant Alabama USA
    Posts
    568
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    162
    Likes (Received)
    203

    Default

    Forgot to post the pic, it really happened.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 065.jpg  

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,381
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3393
    Likes (Received)
    2007

    Default

    Rpm? ... ... ...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Posts
    348
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    161
    Likes (Received)
    37

    Default

    I use it all the time! and its great

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Grant Alabama USA
    Posts
    568
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    162
    Likes (Received)
    203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zahnrad Kopf View Post
    Rpm? ... ... ...
    2550 on a 3/4 endmill

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Hermosa Beach California
    Posts
    3,676
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    25
    Likes (Received)
    67

    Default

    Dude thats awesome!!!

    How is it that you could do that, without excessive tool deflection ?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Grant Alabama USA
    Posts
    568
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    162
    Likes (Received)
    203

    Default

    It works because of an extremly sharp endmill. We used a resharpened garr 630 series with 3.0 loc. The factory edge would not tolerate this kind of cut, it would chatter itself to death. The speeds and fees were low because of the lack of holding area, this would normally be a 180 to 200 ipm cut. The material was A36.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Cedar City, UT
    Posts
    24
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    12
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default

    looks good!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Nevada
    Posts
    1,698
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    187
    Likes (Received)
    457

    Default

    Nice! We use it but only 1"-1.25" deep on 7075 aluminum with 3/4 skit cut HSS end mills so we are pooching it. Those are super impressive number for that length of tool and material. Did you guys sharpen you endmill? Why would the factory sharpness not be enough? Its not like they knock the end down with a stone or something.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Grant Alabama USA
    Posts
    568
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    162
    Likes (Received)
    203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IAMATT View Post
    Nice! We use it but only 1"-1.25" deep on 7075 aluminum with 3/4 skit cut HSS end mills so we are pooching it. Those are super impressive number for that length of tool and material. Did you guys sharpen you endmill? Why would the factory sharpness not be enough? Its not like they knock the end down with a stone or something.
    I sharpened the endmill, my own grind that took several years to fully perfect. The more expensive endmills are capable of this, but $300 vs $50 is an easy choice. We have ran them uncoated in aluminum, but usually run out of power or feed rate. Heres a pic from fridays fun. since we were already set up, had a similar 17-4 job to do . same parameters, only 1.5 deep.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_0038.jpg  
    Last edited by jamesu229; 02-12-2012 at 09:00 PM. Reason: picture did not load

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Grant Alabama USA
    Posts
    568
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    162
    Likes (Received)
    203

    Default

    I managed to get a short video on the deep cuts. I apologize for the lighting, must be the camera. I had plenty of light in the machine.




    High speed machining(again) - YouTube

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston MA
    Posts
    878
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    206
    Likes (Received)
    622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesu229 View Post
    I managed to get a short video on the deep cuts. I apologize for the lighting, must be the camera. I had plenty of light in the machine.




    High speed machining(again) - YouTube
    What CAM package are you using? Just want to be sure to avoid ever using it Nice cut - but jeez... 75% or more of the time is wasted moving around in the air. (this is not a criticism of you at all - it's crazy that in 2012 we don't have CAM packages that can do a lot better than this!)

  13. Likes Feed liked this post
  14. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Staten Island NewYork USA
    Posts
    3,054
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    718
    Likes (Received)
    1210

    Default

    Not sure I am getting it...why is this better then a slow ZigZag with incremental Z Cut?

  15. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Grant Alabama USA
    Posts
    568
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    162
    Likes (Received)
    203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SRT Mike View Post
    What CAM package are you using? Just want to be sure to avoid ever using it Nice cut - but jeez... 75% or more of the time is wasted moving around in the air. (this is not a criticism of you at all - it's crazy that in 2012 we don't have CAM packages that can do a lot better than this!)
    Surfcam, and I agree with you completely. Maybe one day the software will be able to actually analyze the part and select the path that has no wasted moves. Sadly, If I had the time I could code this at the machine so much better. I know surfcam can do better, but I program, QC, setup, and provide tech support for tooling use. Doesn't leave time for optimization. I do however program for consistency. My setups run unattended, Usually 1 operator for 3 or 4 machines.

  16. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Grant Alabama USA
    Posts
    568
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    162
    Likes (Received)
    203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SIM View Post
    Not sure I am getting it...why is this better then a slow ZigZag with incremental Z Cut?
    Deep axial cuts utilize the full length of the endmill, not just wearing out the end of the cutter. With controlled angle of engagement radially, cutter life is greatly extended. Also, for hard or difficult to cut materials, the type of cut you are talking about usually ends up breaking the endmill. Cutter wear with light radial cuts generally just makes red hot chips, or escessive noise.

  17. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Grant Alabama USA
    Posts
    568
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    162
    Likes (Received)
    203

    Default

    I uploaded a new video that shows the process much better. I will post a pic of the cutter tonight.



    Deep slot milling - YouTube

  18. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Anytown, USA
    Posts
    334
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    47
    Likes (Received)
    37

    Default

    What was the condition of the tool after that shower of sparks at the break-through?

    Is there a taper on the walls?

  19. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Grant Alabama USA
    Posts
    568
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    162
    Likes (Received)
    203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ToolPost View Post
    What was the condition of the tool after that shower of sparks at the break-through?

    Is there a taper on the walls?
    The tool still looks and cuts great after 24 parts. That small amount of sparks is no problem. The walls were tapered about .001 per side, but I ran a finish endmill with a .03R afterwards to meet print callout. These endmills can handle up to 60 Rc in roughing situations with no problem.

  20. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    5,099
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    639
    Likes (Received)
    998

    Default

    Why is the video gone?

  21. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    West Unity, Ohio
    Posts
    21,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2258
    Likes (Received)
    4963

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesu229 View Post
    This is why I love hsm techniques. We had 10 blocks to square up, about .350 extra on sides and .100 on the ends. Only .075 extra on the depth, so holding by .065, we made a 2.375 deep cut at 72 ipm. The radial doc was .04. This kept me from having to roll it, roll it..............
    Set up another mill while it was running.


    For whatever reason - your link just wasn't werking...

    Fixed it for you.


    ------------------

    I am Ox and I approve this h'yah post!


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •