What's new
What's new

Hurco BMC 4020 BMC30

Dupa3872

Stainless
Hi guys,

I know of a shop getting rid of four late 90's Hurco CNC Mills. They are two BMC 4020's and two 30's each has the Ultimax SSM control The oldest one is 1998 and the newest is 2000. These machines have not seen use or even power for almost ten years. I can turn them on and power them up but haven't done that. I am told they were all running good when last used but have small quirks and minor mechanical issues. I can also get a few Hurco Hawks 5 SSM contols. Manual quick switch tooling. All these machine have tons of tooling and vises.

I have never owned a Hurco but have been around the block with my share of older CNC mills, FADAL's and Cincinnati's

I can acquire these machine at almost scrap prices but would like to put them to use if it's worth the trouble of moving them.

What should I be aware of with these machines ? What are some of the things that go bad on them. What should I be aware of when powering up and moving the axis's around on a machine that's been sitting for this many years ?

Make Chips Boys !

Ron

Although I have quite a few Hurcos old and new, I can't help you directly as I have no first hand experience of ones of that vintage.

What I will say is that the late '90's was when Hurco made the move to having their machines built entirely in Taiwan, and the transition was maybe not seamless...

As best as I can tell, most, if not all, users that have low opinions of Hurco formed their impression around machines of that age.

Stories that I have heard include things like untidy wiring, and problems with rigid tapping.

Most likely they will have Yaskawa drives and motors which are pretty resilient. Given the age they will probably have Max 4 controls which are pc based running dos. Machine parameters and operating software will be on hard drive so no batteries or anything like that to worry about. Backups will be on 3.5" floppy and should be with the machines.

Hurco are pretty good at supporting old machines.

I like hurcos ALOT!!! Sounds like an entire shop. I would give 2 Fadals for every comparable hurco, and I own a Fadal. I bet the Hawks are quite sweet with the nice control and versatility of a knee mill. That and a TL1 in a prototype setting sound like the cat's pajamas

I have a BMC30, I like mine it's a box way machine, I got mine for scrap price with a dead control. Any of them have a 4th you are willing to part with?

Belts and spindle chiller was the only thing I have really had to deal with.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I have a BMC30, I like mine it's a box way machine, I got mine for scrap price with a dead control. Any of them have a 4th you are willing to part with?

Belts and spindle chiller was the only thing I have really had to deal with.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Nothing with a 4th. I am still going through the machines there is quite a bit in this shop. I'll let you guys know what I end up with.

Thanks for the input

Make Chips Boys !

Ron

Back