What's new
What's new

Hurco swivel head 5 axis machine experience.

freeflyer

Plastic
Does anyone have experience with Hurco swivel head 5 axis machines?

I'm looking at them now, specifically the VMX60SWi and plan to add an A axis.

I would like to hear the pro's and cons from anyone that have used these machines.

Thanks,

Michael

I work with VMX42SRT which is close to the one your looking at. My machine has a swivel head with an C axis in the table. What kind of work will you be doing? Is this your first 5 axis machine?

Astro, I make parts for autosports. I'm looking at this machine to add cylinder head porting and block machining to our services.

Yes, this will be our first 5 axis. Our other machines are 4 axis presently.

Can you elaborate on your experience with the Srt that you have?

Astro, I make parts for autosports. I'm looking at this machine to add cylinder head porting and block machining to our services.

Yes, this will be our first 5 axis. Our other machines are 4 axis presently.

Can you elaborate on your experience with the Srt that you have?

We are a prototype shop that works in mostly semiconductor and aerospace. I program and setup the SRT. I mostly do 3x2 machining (5 axis positioning) and sometimes do full 5 axis machining. This is my first 5 axis machine also.

My experience with the machine has been positive so far. What I like most is that it is almost as easy to setup as a 3 axis machine. The control makes this easy to do. It uses tool center point management which means you don't need to program the part with the fixture and rotary centerlines. The control knows these positions and calculates it's movements no matter where you position your part in the machine. Basically you program and set it up like you would in a regular mill.

The other key feature for me is the interrupt button. I do one-off parts all the time and the ability to stop the program have the tool retract along its vector and then I can jog the machine to look at what I need to then I can start the program from where it left off easily.

The other key feature for me is the interrupt button. I do one-off parts all the time and the ability to stop the program have the tool retract along its vector and then I can jog the machine to look at what I need to then I can start the program from where it left off easily.

My favorite button on Hurco's, you would think all the "high end" machines would have this feature.:sulk:

After my latest experience with a simple 3 axis machine, actually two at the same time I would not even consider a complicated 5 axis machine. The service and support are just pitiful, 8 months and my two VM's still have to have service techs come once every two weeks. They have went as far as flying in the software engineer and product design engineer from the USA to China and still cant get it right. The last flood from the machine was during a Haas install and the technician had to borrow an adjustable wrench from the Haas technician. Hurco goes through a lot of trouble giving the impression that it is USA made and even more trouble to hide the Chinese parts used inside (yes I admit China does have many shady suppliers). Heres my original post and it only shows some of the problems.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...s-hurco-service-quality-apples-apples-285506/

Hurco goes through a lot of trouble giving the impression that it is USA made and even more trouble to hide the Chinese parts used inside (yes I admit China does have many shady suppliers).

I never got the impression that Hurco was troubling itself to give the impression that they are USA made. I just checked their site. Hurco says they are a global company. They even give the factory's address on their site. (in Taiwan) I'm not sure how you got that impression.

With that said I haven't had the same issues you unfortunately had. My "complicated" 5 axis machine works just fine and is easy to use...for me.

Back