What's new
What's new

Hurco tapping question

doug925

Titanium
Do I have to enact a M29 prior to a G84?
This is on a VMX24 (new and uncrashed) and I 'd like to keep it that way :D

Hence the reason for the dumb question/s.

Also, the manual reads as though I should program feed with a IPM, instead of a IPR?
So, for a 1/4x20 running at 1000rpm, I would write my programs to say F50. ipm, instead of F0.05" per rev???
Is this the case?

Thanks,

Doug.

I think you can use G88 to activate rigid tapping. Write your code and set the tool well above the part and try it out. In the auto screen while running a program directly below "Block Number" the machine displays what it is doing...ie milling, drilling, or rigid tapping. Make sure it displays "rigid Tapping" to ensure the spindle is syncronized. Other then that I believe you can add a second z dimension to add peck depths. Hope this is somewhat helpful. And yes you do program with IPM on your mill. Good luck.
-Greg

Gbeaman, my manual does list G88 as a bnc code, but is it the same? It also says that G84.2, and G84.3 are the same too....:frustrated:

Thanks,

Doug.

my manual specifies two different ways of calling for a rigid tap. If i read it correctly the G84.* would require the m29, but for rigid tapping with G88 no m29 is needed. I believe as long as the screen displays "rigid tapping" on the console while in motion you are good to go. good luck.
-Greg

our mastercam post is set up so that it does not post out rigid tapping, as our older machines require. The format it posts is the basic spindle on feed in reverse spindle feed out cycle. When I post a program I have been just using the find and replace function in the editor. I simply replace all G84s with G88s no other modifications are needed. If you want to peck to the full depth then you will need to edit the code and add aditional z-depths. I don't know what the difference is between ISNC and BNC but I do know my VMX 64 will run a rigid tap with G88. Try it outside of the part. I can hear the difference the spindle makes when it is rigid tapping and when it is in simple tap cycle designed for a floating holder. I hope this is helpful. What about conversational programming, it is much simpler. Take care.
-Greg

Thanks Greg!
Okay, so the Hurco can do it either way.
Cool.

I will listen for the difference in spindle noises ,and look for the "rigid tap" on the screen.

I don't know the first thing aoubt Hurco conversational, as I program offline. I *will* take the training class when the update comes out though.
(couph, couph Hurco)

Thanks again.

Doug.

Back