Hurco ultimax 5 axis datum shift
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Hurco ultimax 5 axis datum shift

Hey guys,
    I've been given a 5 axis Hurco VMXU that they need me to program/run a part on for visitors by tomorrow.
    I have no previous experience of 5 axis milling.
    I have currently milled a profile on the top of a block that is sitting roughly 5" off centre of the table/C axis.
    I have then programmed the bed to rotate 90deg in C and tilt 1.97deg in A to drill some slightly angled holes.
    Question is, now I have rotated and tilted the part, my original datum is way off the part in its new position.
    Is there a way to teach a second datum for the next operations or is it as complicated as trying to work out where I now sit in relation to original datum and programming points accordingly?
    Many thanks,
    T13.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No Hurco experience, but it looks like they use G68.2 like a lot of other controls for this purpose. On Mazaks and machines with Fanuc controls it's known as "Tilted Working Plane". It will allow you define temporary planes and work coordinate systems/tool vectors to handle these kinds of situations. I use it a lot on Mazaks. If Hurco's implementation is similar it will also track the part as it rotates to put your tool in the correct location and orientation.

Here is an article that should get you started:
    Programming 5-Axis Transform Planes Using IJK UVW Vectors

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks CNC hacker, that is useful. But im programming in the ultimax conversational control. On the options on each block there is a 'part setup' option, but this seems to take me to the original setup page and if I change this it changes my datum from the 0;0 original plane

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I haven't used the ultimax control with 5x, but have used back to V7 winmax. Do you have the transform plane option with Ultimax?

If you go on the hurco users group on facebook, there are a lot of active users on there. They will be able to help you.