What's new
What's new

Hydrophobic coating on machine windows?

mhajicek

Diamond
Anyone try putting a hydrophobic coating on their machine windows to keep them cleaner? I run medical parts so I want to keep the machine looking presentable for when carpet dwellers come looking, but i don't want to lose a lot of time cleaning the windows. Thinking maybe something like this:
Amazon.com: Nano Diamond Shield: Automotive

Parts are small so I don't have a blizzard of chips bouncing off the window that would wear it off immediately.

IME They work great with water, have even had good success using them on shower glass to help reduce lime scale build up.

Have found them no use against coolants though, the oil water mix and emulsifiers kinda overcomes the surface tension most the hydrophobic coatings rely on to work.

Yes and then your coolant is contaminated with the stuff. Probably a NO GO in a medical application.

Parts are Ti and 17-4. Get media blasted, thoroughly cleaned, passivated, and the Ti gets anodized, so contamination isn't an issue.

Sheet steel. Camera. Display monitor screen. Br'ass hats arrive, flip a switch, screen shows...

:D

How do you keep the camera clean?

Parts are Ti and 17-4. Get media blasted, thoroughly cleaned, passivated, and the Ti gets anodized, so contamination isn't an issue.

How do you keep the camera clean?

Who said it was even inside the machine?

:D

Seriously, that isn't as hard as you might think.

First of all, they can be a seriously tiny target. Mechanical wipers, deflectors, spinners, or spray means each / all / wotever .. scale accordingly.

They can use mirrors, as well.

Hard to "shoot out" a surveillance camera when all the bullets are going through an inexpensive hunk of silvered polycarb and the camera and lense are hull down in armour, still capturing the scene, absent only a few bits where the holes are. Even if "blinded", nothing expensive or needing wiring has been damaged.

Can't be the first time a similar need has come up. Proven solutions will already exist.
Google should find examples.

Anyone try putting a hydrophobic coating on their machine windows to keep them cleaner? I run medical parts so I want to keep the machine looking presentable for when carpet dwellers come looking, but i don't want to lose a lot of time cleaning the windows. Thinking maybe something like this:
Amazon.com: Nano Diamond Shield: Automotive

Parts are small so I don't have a blizzard of chips bouncing off the window that would wear it off immediately.

The 3M company sells a self stick plastic film that is applied in front of the polycarbonate windows of their air respirator helmets. The inexpensive film is replaced at frequent intervals and preserves the more expensive window. The film may be available in roll form.

Robert

Last edited:
Although it is expensive and hard to find, I have had good luck cleaning the inside of the windows with WD40. Seems like it improves the view for a about a week, then I do it again.

Back