What's new
What's new

What are pulse amps?

rhoward

Hot Rolled
Hi all,

I have two DC servo motors from an Anilam Crusader II system. Each is rated using voltage and "pulse amps". What is a pulse amp and how does that relate to actual amperge draw during operation? Is this like stall amperage?

Also, this is suppossed to be a servo drive board:
http://cgi.ebay.com/anilam-servo-drive-card_W0QQitemZ7578935795QQcategoryZ41941QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Does this look like a driver board to you? I wish I had some good pics of a Crusader II control panel, wiring diagrams would be nice too..

Thanks,

Randy

a pulse amp...

is an Amplifier not a current related Ampere

so, your system communicates on a pulse -think morse code--, containing (could) step and direction information.

that pulse has a limited range (measured in feet) before the signal to noise degrades to the point of uselessnes, or becomes too "quiet"

jeffe

Actually the motors say "Pulse Amps" right on the motor plate. One says "Pulse Amps 32.0" and the other "Pulse Amps 22". This information is in addition to voltage and torque specs etc. Wonder what it means?

Randy

In PWM amplifiers the Pulse current is much higher than the mean current,So this is the maximum that the motor should handle using a PWM type amplifier.
M.

Is it -possible- that pulse amps refers to the max amps that the motor can tolerate without de-magnetizing it?
I have some motors that are rated for max continuous amps, this is what they are limited to for heat dissipation. There is also a max amperage, above that you might de-magnetize the rotor magnets.
Maybe that is what it is. Just speculating here.
Pete

Back