What's new
What's new

IMTS 2014 Review Thread - Post your reviews here

Tonytn36

Diamond
Post your IMTS Reviews in this thread.

What I saw....or rather didn't see: Machine tool innovation. Very little actual innovation on the machine side. Did see some incremental improvements, but only one real game-changer (and it is a game-changer on several levels). Seemed most of the improvements at this show was on the control side. Looks like they've invested quite a bit on the control side this cycle, not so much on the machine side.

I'm still amazed that machine tool builders don't seem to be really considering floor space in the design of machines. Most are HUGE floor space eaters, even for a small work envelope machine. Mazak had the 300 series mills, they are narrow, at about 3' or so, but they are like 15' long - that is really no advantage.

No huge innovations in robotics either. Lots of camera integration, but that's been going on with incremental improvements since before 2004.

I did see some pretty good new measurement systems, that is encouraging.

Nothing ground breaking that I saw in the work holding or tooling halls.

Granted, I was only there for a day and a half, so easily could have missed some things, it was a fairly laser pointed trip.

The Mitutoyo 5 millionths digital micrometer was neat. It took me a bit to count all the zero's, $1500 retail.

Took a look at Herman Schmidt's new indexer with a digital readout. Smart tool, extremely accurate and repeatable. It looks like it would a valuable tool in a EDM shop.

I was really surprised at the small size of the Fives booth. All the sales guys couldn't really fit in the booth, nor could I. The only machine they had set up was a small grinder. It would have been easy to miss that they own Giddings and Lewis.

I missed the Okuma hand scraping demo too, I would of liked to chat with their scraperhand.

While the technology has been floating around for a couple years, the DMGMORI Lasertec 3D was definitely the "innovative" machine tool of the show.

Tony....you didnt see the DMG/Mori Lasertec machine? That was pretty cool if you ask me...also first time Ive seen that technology.
Also, software is advancing at amazing rates. A lot of new stuff to see there.

My first time, i walked the entire machine and tooling buildings. Overwhelming amount of stuff. So many guys selling cutting tools and holders. I found it hard to know anything about their stuff if they didnt have a cutting demo. SwiftCarb and Allumagator were doing Al demos ramping in at over 15 degrees at 250 IPM and cutting full depth at around 60% stepover and 350IPM on VF2SS and small Hurco, that was impressive. Was hoping to get a better feeling for all the different high end tool holders but again not many demos and everyone says their stuff is the best. Uberchuck was running on the Swiftcarb machine, saw lots of the Regofix holders on random demo machines, but you habe to use with the clamping fixture.

Mazak booth was hard to be in, too tight and closed in by that wall. DMG Mori was unreal. I wish they would always place the new machines right at the front of the booth its hard to know whats what.

So what was the one game changer?

I was there on Wed. and Thur.; it was first time for me at that show. It was obviously larger than other shows like Westec that I have been to previously. The same exorbitant prices for food in the exhibit halls...;-) I had specific interest on the metal laser-sintering technology, and saw a fair amount of that, relative to its newness as a technique. I was somewhat annoyed that EOS had a User Day with a lot of presentations, free for existing customers but $75 registration for non-customers. I told them this was a bad marketing move, in my opinion (I'm not a current customer). Nevertheless, the technology is pretty interesting. DMG Mori's LaserTec machine was also fairly impressive.
I saw a portable DCC CMM being marketed by Fowler(!) at just under $40K list, which looked rather interesting. Plop it on your own surface plate, program away using the included control (or remotely using a PC), and measure the parts. Accuracy claimed at 3um repeatability, 8um absolute accuracy over travel envelope. Also, some very interesting optical CMM technology from Werth, using a fiber optic end as a probe tip, and sensing the movement of the point of light at the tip via camera and lens system. Damned sensitive.
Looks like 5-axis machining is really becoming commonplace with respect to the numbers of machine suppliers making the machines. The fixturing and workholding solutions have really been expanding exponentially from a few years ago.
I'll end up having about 60 lbs of catalogs and whatnot arriving over the next few weeks, I suspect. I asked most everyone who scanned my badge to NOT call, and most definitely to NOT stop by. We'll see how that goes.

Unfortunately guys + gals, I'll have to keep that one to myself. Too many folks with eyes on this board. There is enough promise in that one that I just can't discuss it.

Post your IMTS Reviews in this thread.

What I saw....or rather didn't see: Machine tool innovation. Very little actual innovation on the machine side. Did see some incremental improvements, but only one real game-changer (and it is a game-changer on several levels). Seemed most of the improvements at this show was on the control side. Looks like they've invested quite a bit on the control side this cycle, not so much on the machine side.

I'm still amazed that machine tool builders don't seem to be really considering floor space in the design of machines. Most are HUGE floor space eaters, even for a small work envelope machine. Mazak had the 300 series mills, they are narrow, at about 3' or so, but they are like 15' long - that is really no advantage.

No huge innovations in robotics either. Lots of camera integration, but that's been going on with incremental improvements since before 2004.

I did see some pretty good new measurement systems, that is encouraging.

Nothing ground breaking that I saw in the work holding or tooling halls.

Granted, I was only there for a day and a half, so easily could have missed some things, it was a fairly laser pointed trip.

Surely you don't see the advantage. But what were the travels? Their 200G, 2000G and Velocity centers are fucking awesome for lots of fixtures and vises.

My own take on it is this -

In severe contrast to years past, I was not awed or shocked, nor my mind blown, or even simply astounded with the latest developement(s) in machinery.

Instead, what I did see was much more of everything.
What was exciting and amazing 6 and 4 years ago, has now become pedestrian commodity.

Tons of 5 axis machines from everyone. Bunches of Mill/Turns from everyone. And as such, prices coming down.

Spindle speeders seem to be getting bigger.

Ironically, ( from my own view point ) all the "super duper highly advanced latest & greatest" methods of cutting gears on mutlifun machines seem to have taken a lull... Maybe people are finally starting to actually realize that it's highly sugar coated "form milling" and nothing more. On the flip side of that, I did see some fairly interesting new machiness that do treat gear generation properly, albeit in a new and different approach.

WEDM seems to be getting some neat attention with regard to breaking out of the typical 3AX constraints. That was fun.

Other than, Just a lot more of the same...

Unfortunately guys + gals, I'll have to keep that one to myself. Too many folks with eyes on this board. There is enough promise in that one that I just can't discuss it.

Sounds legit. It was IMTS dude. A huge SHOW and TELL for the world to see.

I don't get it...it was publicly displayed at a trade show...but you can't tell us what it is because it's top secret?

Huh? :nutter:

I don't get it...it was publicly displayed at a trade show...but you can't tell us what it is because it's top secret?

Huh? :nutter:

Makes complete sense in some circles. Some companies' machine inventory ( and thus - abilities ) are considered trade secret. Or, some times just the process of negotiations fairs better when no one else knows that there's a machine to be had or that negotiations are in process. There's a number of reasons...

Back