What's new
What's new

Indexable spot drill for milling 90* grooves?

ManualEd

Stainless
I'm looking at a job milling some 90* slots in the outside of a roller, then putting some grooves in it to give it a very coarse profile.

A few 4" diameter 1045 slugs, 4" long.
I'll be milling them in a lathe, max RPM 2000, give or take.

Endmills ground to a 90* point are too fragile.

I could deal with a 1/16 or even a ⅛ flat at the tip.
A ⅝ diameter would let me do it in 1 pass.
Are there any indexable spot drills or chamfer mills that would have more robust tip?

Thanks!

Screw on type chamfering head from any of the usual suspects would be a good bet. I'd recommend Sandvik's coromill 316 though, for the simple reason that they have integrated ER back ends for them designed specifically for live tool applications.

16mm Head
. Flat point diameter on that one is 1.5mm.

ER32 Backend. Just linked this one as an example, they have ER20 to ER40 available.

Screw on type chamfering head from any of the usual suspects would be a good bet. I'd recommend Sandvik's coromill 316 though, for the simple reason that they have integrated ER back ends for them designed specifically for live tool applications.

16mm Head
. Flat point diameter on that one is 1.5mm.

ER32 Backend. Just linked this one as an example, they have ER20 to ER40 available.

Never seen those "shanks" before. I love the idea but am guessing that it isn't a cheap exercise. I suppose it should be sturdier than the normal shank style.

I have bought a few iscar style recently and just got a carbide shank the last time for a deep pocket to try to prevent as much chatter as possible. The price on the carbide shank was pretty pricey.

I guess maybe the OP could look into a short gauge length shank from any of the "usual suspects" ,as you say, so that it can also be use for a different application if he needs to go deeper on anything since the shanks can take various style heads.

Back